Subject: David Weber: Honor Harrington on Basilisk Station

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: 6 Mar 93 03:58:43 GMT

"Honor Harrington on Basilisk Station" is the first of what's obviously
meant to be as many "Honor Harrington" novels as Baen can sell.  (The
second, "Honor of the Queen", will be out in two months, and presumably
sequels will depend on sales.)  This didn't deter me from trying it:  It
looked as though it might be intereting space opera -- and these opening
novels of would-be series generally have to be pretty good.

And so it was.  Pure space opera:  Honor Harrington is a brilliant captain 
in the Manticoran space navy -- the kind who's in the right place at the
right time, and whose ship can outfight ten times her number because she's
a tactical genius and her heart is pure -- who's made the mistake of
seriously embarrassing a petty officer.  Unfortunately, when an admiral
decides to be petty...

So Harrington's ship is assigned to the nether end of beyond, which is *how*
she happens to be in the right place at the right time.  Pure space opera,
but fun.  I'll keep reading it as long as it doesn't disappoint.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked]

  The surface of the strange, forbidden planet was roughly textured and green,
  much like cottage cheese gets way after the date on the lid says it is all 
  right to buy it.--Scott Jones