Subject: Review: Echoes Of Honor by Weber

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 09 Sep 1998 20:49:19 -0400

ECHOES OF HONOR by David Weber
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

    The war between the Star Kingdom of Manticore and the People's
Republic of Haven has been ongoing for eight long years with no end in
sight.  However, the morale of the Manticoran galactic fleet is abruptly
shaken with the TV showing of their captured military leader and heroine,
Admiral Honor Harrington being accused of murder and hung like a common
criminal by the Haven security forces.
    Though shocked and outraged over Harrington's public execution, the
Manticorans vow vengeance.  However, unbeknownst to them, their heroine's
death was a staged TV event and she is actually being held prisoner on the
inescapable prison planet of Hell.  Though no one escapes from this aptly
named prison, Honor plans to have the honor of being the first.  She knows
that her forces not only need her leadership, but the morale of her return
from the dead could be the difference in the almost decade old war.
    Like the seven previous Harrington novels, ECHOES OF HONOR is a well
written space opera along the lines of Star Wars that will temporarily
satiate fans waiting for the next Lucas movie.  Though the story line may,
at first, seem hackneyed, under the deft writing of David Weber, the book
is actually a stupendous work of science fiction.  The military characters
for both sides seem apropos as they are motivated and intelligent.  The
same cannot be said of the politicians, who seem more to be more of a
mirror image of a not so marvelous DC crowd.  Bottom line is readers of
non-stop, action-packed, shoot-em-up sci fi thrillers will relish
Mr. Weber's wonderful work, including his latest ECHOES OF HONOR.

Harriet Klausner

%T ECHOES OF HONOR
%A David Weber
%I Baen
%D Oct 1998
%O $24.00
%P 569 pp.
%G ISBN 0-671-87892-1