Subject: Reviews of David Weber military SF

From: [email-masked] (Intermix Ltd.)
Date: 30 Jan 1996 19:46:21 GMT

_Flag in Exile_ by David Weber [Copyright 1995 by David Weber; First
printing September 1995 by Baen Books SF.  U.S. $5.99 / Canada $7.50,
paperback, 443 pages. ISBN: 0-671-87681-3]

_Path of the Fury_ by David Weber [Copyright 1992 by David Weber;
Second printing September 1994 by Baen Books SF.  U.S. $5.99 / Canada
$7.50, paperback, 423 pages. ISBN: 0-671-72147-X]

               by Michael Hicks <[email-masked]>

Perhaps I'd seen one generic spaceship book cover too many, but the
striking figure of warrior-woman Honor Harrington (rendered by artist
Gary Ruddell) on the front of Weber's _Flag In Exile_ caught my
attention.

I'd never heard of Weber's work before, and if you haven't either, 
you've been missing out on some excellent military SF.  This latest 
work is part of an ongoing series based on the life and times of the 
exceptional Honor Harrington.

As the book opens, Harrington has been disgraced by political enemies
and forced into early retirement from her military career.
Grief-stricken and haunted by the murder of her beloved, she must take 
up the uncertain mantle of Steadholder -- a traditionally male role -- 
on a planet that she once saved from disaster.

Though nursing bitter wounds, Harrington rises to the challenges of 
leadership.  Her straightforward manner, a mix of common sense blended 
with decency and courage, brings prosperity to the people of her 
Steading.   But her progressive ways bring her into violent conflict 
with the status quo... those religious leaders and Steadholders who 
cannot abide sharing the reins of authority with an unmarried woman.  
Outside forces threaten Harrington's adopted homeworld as well, and
the newborn space navy of planet Grayson finds itself in desperate 
need of her command experience.

Weber's work is pure pleasure.  Strong intriguing characters, on both 
sides of the moral fence, excellent interweaving of the two main 
storylines of political and military conflict, and superb building -- 
and climatic release -- of tension.

My only regret in purchasing this book was that I should have started
at the beginning of the series.  No matter... as the reviewer from the 
Philadelphia Press so aptly put it, "I want more!"  Even though I now 
know the results of Honor Harrington's later exploits, I'm still 
looking forward to going back to her early days.

                                * * *

But first, after the pleasant encounter with Lady Harrington, I wanted 
to see what, if any, other gems Weber had brought forth.

_Path of the Fury_ is a great SF/Fantasy crossover.  Firmly rooted in
the future, it's the story of ex-commando leader Alicia DeVries quest 
for vengeance against the planet-wrecking space pirates who have 
callously tortured and murdered her family.

DeVries discovers two unique allies to aid her: a spaceship with a 
cutting-edge artificial intelligence, and a creature straight from the 
myths of Old Earth.  The last of her kind, Tisiphone is one of the 
three original Furies, the avenging spirits of the Gods of Olympus.

Though their association is often stormy, each of the three "beings"
is changed in ways none originally expected, nor would necessarily
have desired.

Unlike the Harrington books, _Fury_ is a self-contained story
(although the story's ending =does= leave open the possibility of
sequels).  If it has less intrigue than _Flag_, which is quite
understandable given the context, it serves up a greater helping of
pitched battle scenes... which is what many folks read military SF for
in the first place, anyway.  This is Weber's forte: he conveys clear,
concise images of space combat that are in no way dull or dry.  The
action flows so smoothly that the pages just fly by!

Original ideas, memorable characters, and exciting storylines make
David Weber's military SF one of my new favorites!

###

Note:  This review appears in the Feb 1996 issue of the "INTERMIX
SF/Fantasy Online" e-zine.  Subscriptions are free.  To join the
INTERMIX mailing list send e-mail to <[email-masked]>.