Subject: REVIEW: STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Steve Kong)
Date: 25 Nov 1996 17:57:12 GMT

[Note that followups are directed to rec.arts.movies.current-films and
rec.arts.movies.startrek.current only, not to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

                        STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
                       A film review by Steve Kong
                        Copyright 1996 Steve Kong

* * * * (on a four star rating systems)

Director:  Jonathan Frakes
Screenwriters: Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga
Starring:  Patrick Steward, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton,       
                           
Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Alice Krige, Alfre Woodard,
James Cromwell.
Rating:  PG-13

Prepared to be assimilated?  Yes!  Knowing the old saying that all even 
numbered Star Trek movies are good, and all odd numbered movies are either 
mediocre or bad, I came into First Contact ready to see a good movie.  Did I 
come out with a feeling that I saw a good movie?  Yes.

For Star Trek movies there is one problem that follows them.  You have to 
cater to two distinctly different audiences in order to make a large profit.  
The first audience is the die-hard Star Trek fans.  The second is the more 
general audience, who either knows little or nothing about Star Trek.  First 
Contact swings a lot towards the first audience.  It is built around Captain 
Picard’s original encounter with the Borg.

The encounter gets a small flashback in the beginning of the film, and that is 
all that is really said about the encounter to help the general audience 
along.  For those of us who are well versed in what happened between Picard 
and the Borg, we are drawn into the story and understand what is driving 
Picard to do what he is doing.  For the rest of the general audience, they are 
left to catch up.  And the director, Jonathan Frakes (also playing Riker), 
gives little time to catch up.  From the explosive starship battle with the 
Borg cube beginning to the explosive ending, Frakes keeps the pace of the 
movie quick.

The story is about the Borg heading for Earth, readying to assimilate the 
human race.  The new Enterprise E, with Picard at the helm is sent elsewhere 
by the Admiral.  The Admiral believes that Picard is too emotionally involved 
with the Borg to be in this battle.  Picard, obviously disregards the orders 
and goes into battle.  The Borg in a last ditch effort goes back in time to 
try to assimilate the human race back then.  And that is where the real meat 
of the story goes.

If you are a Trekker or are familiar with the Next Generation crew, you will 
love this film.  If you are new to the Star Trek franchise, you might want to 
just review what happened between Picard and the Borg before going off to see 
this film. There is a great mix of humor and action in this film.  And the 
pacing of the film will keep you at the edge of your seats in many tense 
situations.

But, in any case, resistance is futile.  So go see this film!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
steve kong
email  -  [email-masked] or [email-masked]   pager  -  +1.408.577.9820
------------------------------------------------------------------------------