Subject: REVIEW: STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996)

From: [email-masked] (James Berardinelli)
Date: 25 Nov 1996 17:56:07 GMT

[Note that followups are directed to rec.arts.movies.current-films and
rec.arts.movies.startrek.current only, not to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

                             STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
                       A film review by James Berardinelli
                        Copyright 1996 James Berardinelli

RATING (0 TO 10): 7.5
Alternative Scale: *** out of ****

United States, 1996
U.S. Release Date: 11/22/96 (wide)
Running Length: 1:51
MPAA Classification: PG-13 (Violence, profanity, sexual innuendo)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Cast: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, 
      Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Alfre Woodard, 
      James Cromwell, Alice Krige, Neal McDonough 
Director: Jonathan Frakes
Producer: Rick Berman
Screenplay: Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, and Ronald D. Moore
Cinematography: Matthew F. Leonetti
Music: Jerry Goldsmith
U.S. Distributor: Paramount Pictures

     For the first time in the seventeen-year run of the successful STAR 
TREK movie franchise, there is no Captain Kirk.  STAR TREK: FIRST 
CONTACT, the eighth entry into the motion picture series, is the first 
to rely exclusively on the crew of THE NEXT GENERATION, who were 
introduced to film audiences two years ago in STAR TREK: GENERATIONS.  
Following in the wake of a trio of disappointing features, FIRST CONTACT 
proves to be the most entertaining STAR TREK in more than a decade.  
First time director Jonathan Frakes (who also plays Riker, the 
Enterprise's second-in-command) injects some badly-needed energy and 
inventiveness into a series that, prior to this effort, was sinking 
under its own weight and boldly going nowhere.

     A conscious decision was made to develop FIRST CONTACT into the 
most action-oriented adventure since STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN, 
and the largely-effective results speak for themselves.  This film 
moves, rarely ever stopping to take a breath.  Originality is not at an 
all-time high, but the film makers have shown a great deal of ingenuity 
in grafting elements of MOBY DICK, ALIENS, TERMINATOR 2, CLOSE 
ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, RETURN OF THE JEDI, and even DIE HARD onto 
the familiar STAR TREK formula, which emphasizes ideas over mindless 
thrills.  The editing is crisp and the direction is sure-handed, making 
for perhaps the most streamlined STAR TREK movie of them all.

     The highlight of FIRST CONTACT is the first reel, a recklessly-
paced, dazzling display of special effects that is exhausting in its 
intensity.  For the first time in eight films, there's no "getting to 
know you" period.  Five minutes after the opening credits have ended, 
we're right in the middle of the action.  And what action it is -- the 
most spectacular space battle ever to grace the screen in a STAR TREK 
film.  It's clear that this sequence, with dozens of starships doing 
battle with the enemy -- a cube-like Borg vessel -- ate up a 
considerable portion of the budget.

     The Borg, undoubtedly THE NEXT GENERATION's most popular foe, 
appeared in about a half-dozen TV episodes, but created a legacy that 
made them a natural choice for a big screen appearance.  Half-organic, 
half-robot, the Borg all share one mind, and have proven to be the most 
difficult foe for the Federation to overcome.  In FIRST CONTACT, when an 
attack of Earth during the 24th century fails, the Borg travel back in 
time to change history.  The USS Enterprise-E, helmed by Captain Jean-
Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart), must follow them to the mid-21st century 
to save the future.  But the Borg are on board the Enterprise, and a 
battle for control of the ship soon develops.

     As a species, the Borg are effective, cinematic villains, although, 
on an individual level, their "queen" (played by Alice Krige) is 
probably the least menacing of them all.  The Borg's natural 
implacability enhances their sinister aura.  There's something eerie 
about creatures that kill matter-of-factly and don't make a sound when 
they're injured.  The Borg's hive -- actually the corridors of the 
Enterprise's lower decks -- bears more than a passing resemblance to the 
nest of the Alien queen in James Cameron's ALIENS.

     FIRST CONTACT's greatest asset is Patrick Stewart.  The British 
screen veteran's presence is formidable enough to allow us to forget 
William Shatner.  Stewart makes us believe in and care about the 
proceedings.  Here, Picard is not just the "intellectual commander" his 
reputation suggests.  Instead, he has become a futuristic Ahab, intent 
on revenge (he was once captured and "assimilated" into the "Borg 
collective").  Stewart gives vitality and power to Picard's obsessive 
rage.

     All the regulars from the NEXT GENERATION crew are on hand:  First 
Officer Will Riker (Frakes), Data (Brent Spiner) the android, Chief 
Engineer Geordi LaForge (LeVar Burton), Worf (Michael Dorn) the Klingon, 
Doctor Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden), and Counselor Deanna Troi 
(Marina Sirtis).  Plus, for fans of the series, there are a couple of 
unexpected cameos.  Joining the regular crew for this one-time outing 
are James Cromwell (BABE) as Zefram Cochrane, the creator of warp drive, 
and Alfre Woodard (PASSION FISH) as Lily Sloane, his no-nonsense 
assistant.

     If there's an obvious area where FIRST CONTACT falls short, it's in 
its stabs at humor.  Many of these seem like forced attempts to 
reduplicate the lightness of STAR TREK IV (the one with the humpback 
whales), and only a few don't come across as misplaced.  There are 
occasional instances of natural comedy, but Troi getting drunk rings 
about as true as Scotty cracking his skull on a bulkhead in STAR TREK V.

     The script is cleverly written so that non-fans will be able to 
follow and enjoy the plot while aficionados will get all the little "in" 
references.  FIRST CONTACT effortlessly negotiates a number of potential 
problem areas (such as time travel), which is a credit to the 
screenwriting team of Brannon Braga, Ronald Moore, and producer Rick 
Berman.

     After three consecutive less-than-stellar adventures, FIRST CONTACT 
has single-handedly revived the STAR TREK movie series, at least from a 
creative point-of-view.  If the box office results follow suit, there 
will be a STAR TREK 9, hopefully with Patrick Stewart and his crew on 
board.  Whatever the case, there's little doubt that FIRST CONTACT has 
come along at the right time to ensure that STAR TREK continues to live 
long and prosper.

- James Berardinelli
e-mail: [email-masked]
ReelViews web site: http://www.cybernex.net/~berardin