Subject: Review: "Excession" by Iain M Banks

From: [email-masked] (p-m agapow)
Date: 24 Jun 1998 15:15:24 -0400

"Excession" by Iain M. Banks
		A Postview, copyright 1998, p-m agapow

In the galaxy-spanning utopia of the Culture, an Excession is an object
that is excessively strange, excessively violent, and excessively
dangerous.  One has cropped up right on their doorstep, an enigmatic black
sphere that does nothing.  But just by being there the Excession
galvanises a number of conflicting parties into action: a centuries-old
conspiracy, a belligerent alien horde, a teenage dilettante angling for a
military career, and a rogue warship turned orbital graveyard.

Banks could spend a profitable career just churning out more Culture
books.  Thankfully he hasn't opted to do that and instead has slowly
peeled the layers surrounding his fictional universe, which thus becomes
more interesting with every book.  With "Excession," we get our closest
look at the Culture yet.  As a consequence, this book is largely, but not
exclusively, for those who have read at least some of the preceding books.
One could profitably read with without knowledge of those preceding:
"Consider Phlebas," "The Player of Games," some stories in "State of the
Art," and "The Use of Weapons."

Being set in an effective utopia, stories of the Culture face a general
problem.  In a world with almost limitless energy and resources, where
almost all things are possible, how does one introduce drama?  Banks has
solved this problem previously by telling stories of individuals, and
dealing with things that - ethically - neither the Culture nor these
people will do.  In "Excession" the situation has changed.  The artifact
presents an Out-of-Context Problem, Culture-speak for something so wildly
out of their experience that countermeasures are unthinkable.  Despite
vast military power, another group may gain control of the Excession
first.  For once the Excession is something the Culture needs.  Also we
see the universe not through one point of view, but a multitude.

This complexity does present some challenges.  Hydra-like, the book keeps
sprouting new plot threads and characters to a point at which it is
difficult to keep it all straight.  Especially when it comes to Culture
ships and distinguishing names like "Fate Amenable to Change" from "Not
Invented Here" and "Shoot Them Later."  Arguably, some of these do not
advance the story and may even be connected only tangentially to the main
plot.  One character, after a several pages of life history and
description, is then summarily killed.  In effect, he shows up just so he
can die.  Also problematic is the ending.  Although not, as others have
described it, a "shaggy dog" finish, there is the sense that the central
problem of the Excession is not really resolved but just dispelled.
Perhaps it is best to think that "Excession" is more about the smaller
stories that make up the narrative rather than the eponymous artifact.

These are small complaints, provoked only by the high expectations one has
of Banks.  As usual, he has produced a story that is an enjoyable romp
without being dumb, and a detailed setting that is not a dry tour of
interesting landmarks.  The most amusing and horrifying are the alien
Affront, a species whose boisterously violent nature is illustrated by
their use of genetic engineering to ensure that all their food is alive,
sentient, and easily frightened.  As their name indicates, they are an
affront to all the civilised species in the galaxy.  Along the way we see
the complicated and hedonistic lives of Culture citizens and the complex
politics of the Minds (AIs) that actually run the Culture.  This is not to
deny the vicarious pleasure of several boffo space battles and a
sprinkling of sex, violence and betrayal.  Amazingly, despite its
complexity and reasonable length, "Excession" is very readable and pacy.

For those who may have been a little disappointed by Banks' previous
"Feersum Enjin" and "Against A Dark Background", this will represent a
return to form.  Those who weren't will find this another great book.  As
always with Banks, recommended, [***/interesting] and a five-ring circus
on the Sid and Nancy scale.

%A Iain M. Banks
%T Excession
%I Orbit
%C London
%D 1997
%P 455pp
%G ISBN 1-85723-457-X
%O paperback, Aus$16.95

Paul-Michael Agapow ([email-masked]), La Trobe Uni, Infocalypse
"There is no adventure, there is no romance, there is only trouble and desire."