Subject: Review: MOVING MARS (Spoilers)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 May 94 06:32:52 GMT

Book review by Norm Cook ([email-masked])

MOVING MARS, by Greg Bear (Tor 1993)

MOVING MARS is an apt title for this novel, describing both the literal and
the figurative.  It is set in the same continuity, about 125 years later, as
Bear's extraordinary QUEEN OF ANGELS.  Nanotechnology, the science of
building microscopic machines, is a mature technology of the late 22nd
century that spawns true artificial intelligence and allows humans to live
and work relatively comfortably on Mars.  But amazing new wonders are on the
horizon, as scientists delve into the very heart of the reality of nature,
and as politicians wrestle with the pangs of separation from their mother
planet.

Casseia Majumdar is a student at the University of Mars, Sinai, when she and
two hundred of her classmates and professors are abruptly expelled.  Not
quite realizing what she is about to get into, Casseia joins a group of
student protesters who are trying to usurp the new central government that is
paranoid of the existing Binding Multiples (BMs) that have guided the
economic and political path of the citizens of Mars since its initial
settlement.  BMs are independent coalitions of extended families, each one
maintaining an area of expertise, such as finance or manufacturing, and
alliances are often forged through marriage.  The Majumdar BM is one of the
largest and most conservative, and Casseia's rebellion is somewhat of an
embarrassment to them.

During the time with the protesters, Charles Franklin, a physics student,
develops a crush on Casseia.  They eventually become lovers, but despite
Charles's declaration of love, Casseia breaks off the relationship, citing
her need to experience more in life before settling down.

Casseia goes back to school after the Statists are deposed, majoring in
government management.  She eventually wins an apprenticeship to her uncle
Bithras Majumdar on a diplomatic mission to Earth to negotiate new trade
agreements.  On the eight-month voyage to Earth, Casseia meets a young girl
named Orianna returning to Earth.  Orianna seems to be a typical, spoiled
Terrie, physically and mentally enhanced by nanotechnology, ready and willing
to engage in any new experience, real or simulated.  Orianna and Casseia
continue their friendship while on Earth, as Orianna shows Casseia a culture
that is very different than on Mars.

Bithras's mission runs into all kinds of political roadblocks, and the
Martians unhappily return to their home.  However, the real-world education
Casseia receives by observing Bithras's negotiations and from her experiences
with Orianna will become invaluable as she moves up the ladder of Martian
politics in the coming years.
 
Casseia marries Ilya Rabinovitch, a fossil hunter from the Erzul BM.  Fossils
of ancient Martian organisms have been found and studied, but their biology
remains mysterious until Ilya and Casseia make a startling discovery about
them during their honeymoon.

Casseia then begins her political career in earnest, joining Ti Sandra
Erzul's bid to form a new republic, this time one that leaves the BMs
autonomous.  During this period, Charles Franklin comes back into Casseia's
life as the physicist in charge of a secret project that threatens the
stability of the Earth-Mars relationship.  As a result of the actions by the
neo-government in this matter, a civil war of sorts erupts between the two
worlds.  Casseia and Charles find themselves at the center of the conflict.

MOVING MARS is a fascinating examination into the politics of colonialism and
revolution.  The distinctions between the cultures of Mars and Earth were
well thought out and Casseia emerged as a remarkably developed person that
changed significantly from beginning to end.  The scientific aspects of the
book are not nearly so well characterized; the fossil cysts remain enigmatic,
and the quantum physical breakthroughs take on the air of magic rather than
realism.  I thought the setup took a bit too long and there was not enough
time left to adequately explore all the avenues of wonder before the nonstop
action of the final act unfolded.

Greg Bear is now on my must-read list and I anxiously await further
developments in this intriguing universe he has created.