Subject: A WHOREVIEW (LEGACY by Gary Russell)

From: [email-masked] (Ray Tate)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 1994 23:22:24 GMT

A WHOREVIEW
			    by
			  Ray Tate

	If asked who is the oldest sf television character, your
response should be "Exactly." In 1963, the Doctor, or Doctor Who,
first appeared out of his TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimensions in
Space.) He has fought Daleks and Cyberman, Masters and Meddling
Monks all in the name of justice for--get this--thirty years! It
makes Kirk and Spock seem like babies, doesn't it?  Until the BBC
reared its ugly rear, the Doctor never knew defeat, but though the
taskmasters at the "Beeb" pulled the plug, the Doctor refused to
go down the drain.  Even as I type, a movie may be made, and the 
FOX television network has shown interest in producing a new
season.  While fans wait for definite movement, books chronicling
the Doctor's further adventures are hitting the shelves at B.
Dalton's, Walden's and Borders Books across the land--which brings
me to Doctor Who's new Adventure LEGACY by Gary Russell.

	LEGACY is a good read for fans and an excellent book for
those curious to see what's all this fuss about that Doctor chap.
The story details the evolution of Peladon, a planet serving as the
setting for two episodes from the television show.  New readers
won't be left out.  The planet's history is chronicled in chapter one,
and we also get a slice from the third Doctor's life.

	At this point I think it wise to explain the Doctor's origins.
The Doctor--we do not know his true name--is a Time Lord.  As you
might gather from the race name and the acronym TARDIS, he is a
time traveler--capable of true time travel and sidewise through time
travel.  The Doctor is a renegade and was even put on trial twice by
his nearly omnipotent peers who refuse to use their knowledge and
power to fight the good fight.  As a result of the first trial's
verdict, the Doctor lost his life.  No not really.  He regenerated.
Time Lords have the ability to regenerate twelve times.  This isn't
the regeneration of--say a starfish.  Regeneration refers to a total
cellular make-over.  There have been seven Doctor.  The same mind in
the same body but with different forms.  The first Doctor was played
by William Hartnell.  When Mr. Hartnell became to ill to continue, Pat
Troughton was called in as a replacement.  Mr. Troughton was several
feet shorter and several years younger than Mr. Hartnell.  They looked
nothing alike, and so the change in actors was explained as regeneration.
For thirty years, seven men have shared the role of the Doctor, and each
Doctor is nothing alike.  Back to Legacy.

	The current Doctor is number seven played by Sylvester McCoy.  In
the story, he is asked by the Federation--not the one with a prime
directive--to investigate some shady dealings on the planet Peladon.  As
always, he is not alone.  Always, he has companions.  Never are they
lovers.  Always, they are friends.  His current companions are Ace and
Bernice "Benny" Summerfield.

	It's always easy to judge characterizaion based on a television
program.  If you can hear an actor's voice, if you can visualize an
actress doing what is written, then you know the author's on the right
track.  I heard the Doctor's voice.  I saw Sophie Aldred--Ace--eye a
blaster while listening to her Suede tape.  I also heard the hiss of
the Ice Warriors--a possible menace on Peladon.  Characters not
based on the show--such as Benny--had voices none the less.

	Characterization is only one part of writing, but in LEGACY, the
other parts are just as good.  The pacing is well-done; often in leass
less-organized novels, the change in setting is confusing.  LEGACY doesn't
have that problem.  Mr. Russell's style is fluid, and he has a light touch.
As a bonus, LEGACY is a fair-play mystery.  We meet the suspects.  We see
the clues, and if you're like me, you totally blow the solution.  This was
a lot more satisfying than some of the dreck I've read from the mystery
section.

	Doctor Who used to be only for kids.  The BBC long recognized how
many adults attended conventions so when the decision to produce new
novels was reached, they decided to gear the novels for adults.  This
doesn't mean blood and guts or leather and lace.  Ace has a brief humorous
liason with Bill Cook a starship officer, but the prime adult issue 
explored in LEGACY is Xenophobia.  

	The Xenophobia comes from a surprising source.  The Doctor.
The Doctor has thrice fought the Ice Warriors, and though they claim
claim to be members in good-standing of the Federation, he cannot
shake his prejudice.  Well, done Mr. Russell.

%A Russell, Gary
%T Legacy
%I Virgin Publishing Ltd.
%C London UK
%D 1994
%G ISBN 0-426-20412-3
%O paperback, GBP5.95
%S The New Adventures of Doctor Who

Apologies in advance for any grammatical, syntax or informational errors.
Information errors will be corrected in next review.

Good-bye, Mr. Cushing.  We'll miss you.