Subject: THE COLLECTED STORIES OF ROBERT SILVERBERG, VOLUME 1: SECRET SHARERS

From: [email-masked] (Evelyn C Leeper +1 908 957 2070)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 22:31:19 GMT

THE COLLECTED STORIES OF ROBERT SILVERBERG, VOLUME 1: SECRET SHARERS
                     A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		      Copyright 1992 Evelyn C. Leeper

     The title of this volume would lead the reader to expect stories from
Silverberg's early period, but in fact they are from between November 1981
and September 1988.  Even the previous collection, THE CONGLOMEROID COCKTAIL
PARTY (1984), consists entirely of post-1980 works.  So I have no idea why
this is labeled "Volume 1."  (The fact that the introduction is dated over
two years ago, and the page headers are incorrect for a few pages around
page 330 make me wonder even more about the history of this book.)

     Still, it has twenty-four pieces of Robert Silverberg's short fiction
(short stories, novelettes, and novellas), including several award winners
and nominees.  Though it omits "Gilgamesh in the Outback" (already included
in TO THE LAND OF THE LIVING), it includes "Sailing to Byzantium"; "Enter a
Soldier, Later: Enter Another"; and "A Sleep and a Forgetting."  I see no
point in giving a detailed review of each story--they're by Silverberg and
Silverberg hasn't written a bad story in years--certainly not since he was
turning them out two a week, and possibly not even then.  Here you have two
dozen previously uncollected Silverberg stories for fifty cents each--what
more could you ask for?  Highly recommended.

%B      The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg: Secret Sharers
%A      Robert Silverberg
%C      New York
%D      November 1992
%I      Bantam Spectra
%O      trade paperback, US$12.50
%G      ISBN 0-553-37068-5
%P      546pp
%S      The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg
%V      1

Evelyn C. Leeper   |   +1 908 957 2070   |   [email-masked]

--
--Alan Wexelblat, Reality Hacker and Cyberspace Bard
Media Lab - Advanced Human Interface Group	[email-masked]
Voice: 617-258-9168, Pager: 617-945-1842	[email-masked]
The world may not be plaid, but that doesn't stop me painting stripes.