Subject: Review: The Golden Globe-Varley

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 01 Oct 1998 19:03:54 -0400

THE GOLDEN GLOBE by John Varley
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

In the twenty-third century, Shakespearean actor Sparky Valentine travels
the galaxy providing his unique perspective of the classics to what is
left of the human experience. Sparky goes from planet to planet performing
and interpreting the Bard to a normally warm, but usually small audience.
Sparky has been known to even do one of Shakespeare's plays on tiny bits
of floating rocks. While performing, Sparky has a bit of a reputation for
pulling a con or two.

However, this time around Sparky has apparently gone too far. The
intergalactic law and the Plutonian-based Charonese Mafia want him even
though Sparky is not sure for which stunt(s) has gotten him in trouble.
However, though he may have a legal and illegal price on his head, Sparky
cannot resist the urge to return home to perform in a real live production
of King Lear.

THE GOLDEN GLOBE is a strange but fun to read science fiction tale that
provides a wonderful new anti-hero to fans. The story line demonstrates
why John Varley is a multi award-winning author and the supportive cast
makes our solar system seem as if it is fully inhabited. However, what
makes Mr. Varley's novel so special is that stellar actor Sparky, who has
performed just about every role (regardless of sex, age, national origin,
or physical shape) Shakespeare has scribed. A fun time to be had by genre
fans.

Harriet Klausner

%T THE GOLDEN GLOBE
%A John Varley
%I Ace
%D Oct 1998
%O $22.95
%P 425 pp.
%G ISBN 0-441-00558-6