Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: 1984 (1984)

From: [email-masked] (Ted Prigge)
Date: 30 Jun 1997 23:52:57 GMT

1984
                       A film review by Ted Prigge
                        Copyright 1997 Ted Prigge

Director: Michael Radford
Writer: Michael Radford (Based on the novel by George Orwell)
Starring: John Hurt, Suzanna Hamilton, Richard Burton, Cyril Cusack

George Orwell is probably one of the greatest writers of all time.  And 
his "1984" is probably his best (although I might argue it could be 
"Animal Farm").  The novel, written around 1948, I think, is a bleak 
story of a future where there is peace but the expense is a totalitarian 
state where everyone is miserable and afraid because there are TVs 
everywhere where "Big Brother" watches so you don't do anything 
treasonous.  It's a frightening idea and pretty much illustrates that 
"Give Peace a Chance" might be a bad idea.

Michael Radford (director of "Il Postino") directed this film, 
ironically made in 1984 within the dates the book took place.  He paints 
a futuristic world which doesn't resemble anything else before.  There 
are no flying cars, monorails, or anything.  The world is just a ruin 
with run-down buildings and plain old buses and what-not.  In every 
room, there is a big television where Big Brother, the symbol of the 
state, is watching and the Thought Police are always the threat of even 
thinking of a treasonous act.

Our protagonist is Winston Smith (John Hurt), who really looks like he 
has been beaten down by the state in all senses of the word.  He is a 
state worker who rewrites history the way the government wants it and in 
his spare time, writes in a journal about his dreams of having rampant 
sex, which is prohibited.  One of his co-workers, Parsons (Gregor 
Fisher), is the symbol of the ultimate defeat of the state, since he is 
constantly telling of his love for everything that embodies Big Brother. 
 In one darkly humorous scene, he talks about the processed meat and how 
it isn't even meat and that's why it's good.

Winston runs into (literally) a woman named Julia (Suzanna Hamilton) 
who's also a government worker and who passes him a note (Hello?  Junior 
High?) saying she loves him and wants to meet him.  They carefully plan 
their meetings and end up having intense sex in a far off place where no 
one, not even Big Brother is watching.  Their sex is not actually about 
love, but as a form of rebellion and expression of their way to 
anti-supress themselves.  They try to join the rebellion, headed by an 
O'Brien (Richard Burton, in his final performance), but that turns out 
to wind them up in prison and a torture sequence on Winston where he is 
beaten into admitting that 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 and stuff like that.  
It's a horrific scene in all senses of the word.

"1984" the film works because it wonderfully embodies the bleakness that 
was the book.  All of the scenes are drearily set and the film is as 
depressing and thought-provoking as the book...well, maybe not as 
thought-provoking.  And John Hurt and Richard Burton are fabulous in 
their respective parts.

I highly reccomend this film for anyone who loved the book, but for 
anyone else, it's not going to be fun.  It's a highly depressing film 
that is so dark that you might have to watch it in two sittings.  But 
the message is still there and that's what counts.  If you want a 
livelier film (and a better one, in my opinion), try Terry Gilliam's 
"Brazil."  But this one will do if you're looking for a good 
intellectual film.

MY RATING (out of 5): ****1/2