Subject: Retrospective: 1984 (1984)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 7 Jul 1997 04:33:02 GMT

1984
Chad'z rating: **1/2 (out of 4 = OK)
1984, R, 115 minutes [1 hour, 55 minutes]
[science fiction/drama]
starring: John Hurt (Winston Smith), Suzanna Hamilton (Julia), Richard Burton
(O'Brien), produced by Simon Perry, written by Michael Radford, Jonathon
Gems, directed by Michael Radford, based on the novel by George Orwell.

	When a film is based on a famous novel the filmmakers often make the mistake
of assuming the viewer is familiar with the material and thus don't provide
necessary details... "1984" is a perfect example of this. The film has what
could and should be very intelligent themes and allegories, but it seems more
interested in its Gothic atmosphere than telling a story.

	The film is based on George Orwell's novel and it does an excellent job of
capturing the dark mood of the oppressive, fascist government where everyone
must work "for the common good" and free will and free thinking are not
allowed. 

	John Hurt stars as Winston Smith, a man who looks like he has been worked to
death his entire life. At first him seems like another drone, but we realize
he has a silent hatred for "Big Brother" - the supposedly great leader he has
never actually seen. The only thing Winston can do to fight back is to keep a
journal of his thoughts and a constant belief in hope.

	The first act is a surrealistic experience, we often go inside Winston's
mind and see encounters so bizarre it's often difficult to discriminate the
dream sequences from reality. There isn't much dialogue, so we learn about
the setting through his thoughts, which are often so vague and so
over-written they don't make sense. 

	Winston is a government bookkeeper, he "erases" certain people from
existence and rewrites history according to the government's demands. There
is also a woman (Hamilton) who seems to take an interest in him, and the two
must use secretive measures to communicate with each other. Eventually he
learns her name is Julia and they immediately indulge in a secret, but
passionate affair. But it's only  implied the two love each other. I didn't
buy it because they have no chemistry and they never get to know each other.

	There are two-way television monitors just about everywhere, so to escape
the eye of Big Brother (who has the voice of a woman!) they rent a room in
the ghettos of the "Proletarians." The Proletarians are poor people who seem
to live in the same place as the masses, yet are not oppressed and no reason
for this is given, not even in passing.

	As easy as it is to understand how oppressive this government is, the film
doesn't take the time to establish the necessary details which would explain
why Winston and Julia must be so secretive, or how this government ever came
to be.

	The final act aims to be the brilliant political allegory that is the basis
of the entire story, but it only scratches the surface. Winston is befriended
by a government official, O'Brien (Burton), who he believes is actually the
leader of an underground revolution. But everything falls apart when he and
Julia are caught, tortured, and brain-washed. Burton gives a cold, powerful
performance as O'Brien when he speaks of the establishment in ways that
should be thought-provoking and frightening, but seem just like sci-fi
moviespeak. 

	"1984" seems more like a collection of images rather than a straight story.
Radford is obviously trying to set up plot and theme through the surrealistic
mood, and as interesting as it can be at times, it doesn't work because
important details are missing.

	(4/19/97) (4/23/97) (6/21/97) (7/6/97)

Please visit Chad'z Movie Page @ http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz
E-mail: [email-masked]
(C)1997 ChadPolenz