Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II (1989)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 29 May 1997 21:27:17 GMT

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
                       A film review by Chad Polenz
                        Copyright 1997 Chad Polenz

***1/2 (out of 4 = very good)
1989, PG, 108 minutes [1 hour, 48 minutes]
[adventure/sci-fi]
starring: Michael J. Fox (Marty McFly age 17, 47, Marty McFly Jr., Marlene
McFly), Christopher Lloyd (Dr. Emmett Brown), Thomas F. Wilson (Biff Tannen
age 17, 47, 77, Griff), Lea Thompson (Lorraine Baines/McFly age 17, 47, 77),
produced by Bob Gale, Neil Canton, written by Bob Gale, directed by Robert
Zemeckis.

Us critic-type people are always shaking our heads and telling everyone that
movies aren't thrill rides, but I think that "Back To The Future II" is one
of the few exceptions. If the original film had the spirit of the 1950s, then
this has the spirit of the 80s: full of fights; chase scenes; cliff hangers;
special effects; some detective work; and of course the vision of the
high-tech future.

The film picks up exactly where the first film left off, with Doc (Lloyd),
Marty (Fox), and Jennifer (Elizabeth Shue) travelling 30 years into the
future, because something bad is going to happen to Marty and Jennifer's
kids. Doc tells Marty he must take his son's place at an incident that will
cause a chain reaction if Marty McFly Jr. says yes to Griff (Wilson - in one
of four different roles). 

Whoever said history tends to repeat itself wasn't joking, especially when
it comes to the movies. Essentially the same chase scene that Marty endured
in the 50s takes place again in the year 2015, but it's not as authentically
exciting this time because it is so obviously a parody of itself. At the end
of the situation Marty has changed the course of history for the better, and
it seems like everything's copasetic right? Wrong. Since when do things go
according to plan in the "Back To The Future" movies? 

There are so many minor conflicts and details that effect the plot and the
direction of the story I won't even bother to list them all. Basically we get
to see Marty as an old man, his house, his family, etc. We also go back to an
alternate 1985, and then back again to 1955, with everything happening so
fast the film never stops to catch a breath. 

The films' best aspect is the fact that it actually goes back to the first
movie and shows a lot of the action that occurred from another angle.

It's difficult to convey the sense of wild and zany fun without describing
every little detail. The only thing sacrificed in this film is the suspense.
Instead of a grand finale, we get lots of little victories. By the end
everything is back to normal, but something happens that leads to yet another
sequel, but it doesn't seem gratuitous.

"Back To The Future Part II" is a really great adventure movie. It certainly
has more originality than other films but it lacks a certain charm that was
dominate throughout its predecessor. 

Visit Chad'z Movie Page @http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz/index.html