Subject: REVIEW: BARB WIRE (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Kelvin Ha)
Date: 4 Jul 1996 09:51:36 GMT

BARB WIRE
                       A film review by Kelvin Ha
                        Copyright 1996 Kelvin Ha

  Directed by: David Hogan
Produced by: Dark Horse Entertainment.
Cast: Pamela Anderson Lee (Barb Wire), Udo Kier (Axel)
Length: 97 minutes
Rating: * out of *****

BARF WIRE

BARB WIRE, Pamela Anderson Lee's first foray into films,
highlights the fact that her only talent lies in her silicone enhanced
assets. Being the only notable member of the cast, the camera lingers
lustily o n her body at every opportunity, making her character's
catch line, "don't call me babe," sound very ironic indeed. From the
very opening of the movie, we are treated to a striptease routine from
Anderson, ending in her hurling her stiletto smack between the eyes of
a lusty male who happened to call her babe. Throughout the movie,
there is ample footage of enormous breasts and cleavage, if not of
Anderson's, then at least of the female extras. This alone is enough
to retitle the movie BABE WIRE.

For a plot, BARB WIRE rehashes the CASABLANCA storyline. It is 2017,
the middle of the second American Civil War, and Barb Wire, a former
resistance fighter, runs a joint in Steel Harbour called Hammerhead
(!!). Known for attracting resistance fighters an d characters of all
sorts, the bar attracts the attention of the government forces who
appear dressed in Nazi-style uniforms. In between bashing up helpless
males and showing off her trademark breasts, Barb Wire has to help a
former lover and his wife get to the airport on the other side of the
town, past the government-controlled areas, and to freedom. Even the
airport looks like the one in CASABLANCA, except that the plane in the
background is a modern, private jet.

There are hardly any significant moments in this film, and one gets
the impression that it was designed for young teenagers familiar with
the Dark Horse comics version of "Barb Wire." If anything, one leaves
the film with the confirmation that Anderson di d not do her own
stunts. Who could fight and jump in a skimpy, strapless leather top,
and yet keep her breasts from spilling out? Only a stuntwoman. Not
Pamela Anderson Lee.

REVIEW's rating system:
* Wait for the video.
** A little creaky, but still better than staying at home with Gotcha!
*** Pretty good, bring a friend.
**** Amazing, potent stuff.
***** Perfection. See it twice.

_____________________________________________________________________
Copyright REVIEW. This review was written for REVIEW
<http://www.silkweb.com.sg/dmedia/review/>, an online, fortnightly
Singaporean rag curiously known to insiders as Giddiness Clinic. Visit us
for a free consultation on that ringing noise in your penguin's ear.
______________________________________________________________________