Subject: REVIEW: COOL WORLD

From: [email-masked] (Paul Kearns)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1992 19:49:14 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies.  -Moderator]

				COOL WORLD
		       A film review by Paul Kearns
			Copyright 1992 Paul Kearns

     Now, I'm new at this review stuff, so don't believe anything I
say....

     COOL WORLD; Paramount Pictures, 1992; Produced by Frank Mancuso,
Jr. and directed by Ralph Bashki.  Stars Kim Basinger, Brad Pitt, and
Gabriel Byrne, plus a host of animated characters.  Rated PG-13 for
adult humor and innuendo.

     COOL WORLD is the story about two parallel realities, the one we
are used to (the "Real World") whose inhabitants are referred to as
"noids," and one filled with animated characters, or "doodles" ("Cool
World").  Actually, most of the scenes are in Cool World, since this is
the focus of the film.

     The main plot of COOL WORLD involves a character named Holli Would
("if she could"), and her attempts to cross over to the "Real World."
Holli, who is most easily described as an animated Marilyn Monroe (at
one point, Holli is imitating Ms. Monroe in LET'S MAKE LOVE), will stop
at nothing in her efforts.

     Jack Deebs (played by Gabriel Byrne), imprisoned for 10 years, has
visions of Cool World which he then draws -- making him popular in comic
book stores.  However, as Detective Frank Harris (played by Brad Pitt)
states, "[Cool World] exists with or without you [Deebs]."

     Holli Would (the "noid" version played by Kim Basinger) tries to
seduce Deebs into (and out of) Cool World by breaking the "oldest" and
apparently *only* law, "noids don't have sex with doodles."  Det. Harris'
job is to make sure no one breaks this law, including Holli, Deebs, and
himself.

     COOL WORLD is busy, madcap, and often loud; it's very much like
being at a party or dance club.  At any given time, the main scene takes
place behind two or more doodles chasing each other, or just running
past.  Especially in scenes with Det. Harris, things move between
"noid" and "doodle" (Harris stepping out of a car which is then seen
two-dimensional, etc).

     Between scene changes there's often a short cartoon having nothing
to do with the story line; falling safes and falling cows (yup) are
everyday occurrences in Cool World.  If these sort of distractions bother
you, you might not like COOL WORLD.

     COOL WORLD is (partly) a cartoon, but it is certainly not aimed at
children.  While there is nothing explicit, Holli Would (both as a
doodle and a noid) is extraordinarily seductive.  There are scenes which
might be considered violent (though not graphic) and most of the humor
is decidedly adult.

     It *is*, however, quite humorous in places.  During the final
scene, reminiscent of GHOSTBUSTERS, the "hero" character is especially
funny.   You should be able to get a good laugh out of it at least once
during the movie.

     Brad Pitt (the "hunk" boyfriend in THELMA AND LOUISE) puts in an
excellent performance.  He plays the "tough cop upholding the law even
if it goes against his wishes" well, and gives Frank Harris depth (not
bad for a character in a two-dimensional world, ha ha).

     Kim Basinger plays Holli Would well.  Kim portrays Holli's short
sighted determination as if it were her own.  Gabriel Byrne does a good
job as Jack Deebs, although Deebs' role is mostly reactive and Byrne
simply does what you would expect.

     Of course, it's hard to ignore the animated characters, too.  You
have to admit, they take stage direction better than any actor.  It's
these characters that make Cool World (the place) and COOL WORLD (the
movie) what it is.

     The plot has a few holes, and the constant activity can sometimes
make it discontinuous.  And I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it's
not the most realistic of movies.  However, it's naturally
unpredictable, entertaining, and always keeps you captivated (if only
because you don't want to fall behind).

     COOL WORLD is not for everyone.  A lot of what goes on may be above
children, and many people may be confused by the busy-ness of the whole
affair.  Animation buffs should love it, and Holli (doodle AND noid) has
an appeal that's hard to resist.

     Basically, if it looks interesting to you, you will probably like
it.  If it looks weird, you probably won't.  I'd recommend this movie,
provided you had half a mind to see it anyway.  If you're unsure, check
out a matinee.   Personally, I've seen it twice so far and enjoyed it
both times.

     Comments encouraged.

Paul Kearns
v-paulk