Subject: Review: Crossworlds (1996)

From: Tim Voon <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Oct 1997 18:12:15 GMT

CROSSWORLDS 1996
                      A film review by Timothy Voon
                       Copyright 1997 Timothy Voon
                      2 :-( :-(  for going nowhere

Directed by Krishna Rao Cast: Rutger Hauer, Josh Charles, Stuart Wilson
(II), Andrea Roth

On occasion I have a strange urge to watch a B-Grade science fiction
thriller which makes a quicker entrance onto a video rental shelf, than
one can exit the cinema. Crossworlds is no exception to the rest of the
dime a dozen killer robot, mad alien, time travelling flicks that
already swamp the Sci-Fi section at your local video store. If you look
at what's available, one begins to realise that Sci-Fi movies are either
exceptionally good like Star Wars, Star Trek, or exceptionally bad like
Crossworlds. There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.

What begins as an interesting, though not original concept for a movie
plummets to the ordinary and mundane within minutes. The movie is based
on the theory that there are several dimensions to our universe, and if
one has the key, one can travel through space and time. This idea will
not be too unfamiliar for anyone who watches the weekly episodes of
"Sliders". So the villains who threaten earth on this occasion are known
as "Warlords". They have already conquered several other dimensions, and
have their greedy eyes on puny earth. The catch is that they need the
key, which comes in the form of a gem and a staff.

We are thus introduced to the guardians of the key. Rutger Hauer of
"Blade Runner", and Josh Charles of "Threesome" and Andrea Roth of
"Robocop" the series. Unfortunately, this threesome don't quite hit the
right notes in bed with their perpetual arguments, bickering and
indecision. However, the real disappointment comes at the hands of the
director himself. His lack of imagination suggests that the way to cross
to another dimension is to stamp your feet on the ground, wait for some
wind to blow across your face, and when it stops, turn around and you
have just crossed worlds. Somehow, I think I would have better luck if I
sprinkled a bag full of Pixie dust over myself, before following the
second star to my right, then going straight ahead. "I can fly, I can
fly, I can fly."

Timothy Voon
e-mail: [email-masked]