Subject: Review: Dr Who (1996)

From: Tim Voon <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 1997 15:48:20 GMT

DR WHO 1996
                      A film review by Timothy Voon
                       Copyright 1997 Timothy Voon

Paul McGann-The Doctor #8, Eric Roberts -The Master, Daphne Ashbrook-
Dr. Grace Holloway, Sylvester McCoy-The Doctor #7, Yee Jee Tso-Chang
Lee. Directed by Geoffrey Sax. Written by Matthew Jacobs.

This is the story of a 'Time Lord', half human, and half Gallifreyan,
who journeys through time battling everything from giant squids, giant
plants, giant spiders and bad nasties better known as the 'Daleks', and
in particular a evil, rival time lord known as 'The Master.' Or so this
is how many, viewers of the B.B.C. series, or avid sci-fi readers
remember him simply as - 'The Doctor.'

A cat has nine lives, but 'The Doctor' has thirteen. What could possibly
break this record number of lives? Perhaps the vast number of different
actors who have filled those timeless shoes, and their lovely female
companions with whom they share a little more than intellectual
interests.

So, after such a long wait, why have they brought back 'The Doctor',
'The Tardis' and 'The Master'?

This movie is a nice thought, and a nice effort. Special effects are up
to date, far superior to the slip-shod, 'flush the toilet for thunder
storm' special effects of the 1970's. We have a believable 'Doctor' and
a genuinely nasty 'Master'. The Doctor's new female companion is a
beautiful, intelligent heart surgeon, and the 'Tardis' has had its
interiors splendidly remodelled in the style of an English Library.

What could possibly go wrong? The answer is lack of chemistry. We have
all the ingredients, but none of the intense spark generated between the
'Doctor', his 'Companion', the 'Master' and the 'Time Machine.' Perhaps
the production isn't British enough, or simply, the time isn't right to
resurrect the 'Doctor'. Who knows, but there's nothing here that is
reminiscent of the classic 70's and 80's series, except for the familiar
whirr of the 'Tardis', which is forever immortalised in our minds in
another place, and another time.

Timothy Voon
e-mail: [email-masked]