

_Galaxy_Quest_ (PG) *** (out of ****)

Is there an easier target in all of contemporary pop culture than
_Star_Trek_?  The hambone acting, the cheesy sets, the ridiculously
convoluted scientific jargon, and--the pièce de résistance--the
stereotypically geeky, obsessive fan following--what is there not to poke
good-natured fun at?  So the makers of the thinly-veiled _Trek_ spoof
_Galaxy_Quest_ have it fairly easy; the set-up is all there, and all that's
needed is the follow-through.  Happily, unlike a number of recent cinematic
send-ups, _Galaxy_ doesn't drop the ball.

A big help is that writers David Howard and Robert Gordon have come up with
a clever story on which to hang the _Trek_ gags.  The film takes its title
from a _Trek_-like sci-fi TV series whose cult following is stronger than
ever well over a decade after cancellation.  And, like the original _Trek_
cast, the only work the _Quest_ crew seems to get these days are appearances
at conventions.  But the role of their lives comes when a group of space
aliens called Thermians, having seen all of the _Quest_ episodes and
believing them to be actual spacefaring adventurers, enlists the crew's aid
in combating an evil monster.

This framework gives director Dean Parisot ample room to stage some
effects-heavy action sequences.  The younger members in the audience will
especially enjoy these sequences, such as some elaborate space chases and an
encounter with a rock monster.  This is not to say that adults won't find
enjoyment from these sections as well, for all the effects work in the film
is first-rate.

What will appeal to the older set even more, however, is the smart, edgy
humor, which begins with the characters.  Tim Allen plays the pompous
Shatner-esque Jason Nesmith, who played Peter Quincy Taggart, the commander
of _Quest_'s central spaceship, the Protector.  Gwen DeMarco (Sigourney
Weaver) is eager to shake the stigma of being the show's token cheesecake,
Lt. Tawny Madison, the "communications expert" whose only job was to repeat
everything the computer said.  Alexander Dane's (Alan Rickman) years of
cutting his acting teeth on the Shakespearean stage went down the drain once
he was typecast in his _Quest_ role, half-alien Dr. Lazarus.  The other crew
members for this mission are Tech Sgt. Chen, played by the non-Asian Fred
Kwan (Tony Shalhoub); Laredo, the Protector's 10-year-old navigator, played
by the now-adult Tommy Webber (Daryl Mitchell); and Guy Fleegman (Sam
Rockwell), a rabid _Quest_ fan who once had a bit part in the show as a
nondescript officer.

As anyone with a passing familiarity with _Star_Trek_--and thus the world of
_Galaxy_Quest_--would know, the nondescript officer is always the first to
go, and thus Guy fears for his life while in space.  Clichés such as these
are gleefully satirized throughout the film, such as touchstone mantras (not
surprisingly, Alexander is sick of reciting his) and defused bombs whose
countdown timers stop only at the one-second mark.  Not escaping the aim of
the writers are those fanatical fans who know every last technical detail of
the show.  Of course, the real test of the jokes is if they are playable to
a _Trek_-oblivious viewer, and no one needs to have any familiarity in that
area to get them (though it certainly helps).

As is the case with all family-friendly comedies, _Galaxy_Quest_ isn't above
some straightfaced would-be tear-wringing moments, but the forays into cheap
sentimentality are easily forgiven when everyone involved in the production
is of such high spirit and intelligence.  When I say that _Galaxy_Quest_ is
a fun time for the entire family, I mean it; it's clean, has all the
requisite eye candy and slapstick for the younger set, and--most
distinguishing of all--an uncommon level of sophistication for the adults.

Michael Dequina
[email-masked] | [email-masked] | [email-masked] | [email-masked]
Mr. Brown's Movie Site:  http://welcome.to/mrbrown
CinemaReview Magazine:  http://www.CinemaReview.com
on ICQ: #25289934  |  on AOL Instant Messenger: MrBrown23