Subject: Review: Galaxy Quest (2000)

From: Greg King <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Apr 2000 18:52:59 GMT

GALAXY QUEST (M).  
(Dreamworks/UIP)
Director: Dean Parosit
Stars: Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Daryl 
Mitchell, Sam Rockwell, Enrico Colantoni, Robin Sachs, Patrick Breen,
Missi Pyle, Jed Rees, Justin Long.
	There have been plenty of sci-fi spoofs before.  But whereas
films like Mel Brooks' Spaceballs and Tim Burton's Mars Attacks were
uneven and only fitfully funny, Galaxy Quest is a real winner.  While
it mercilessly lampoons many of the familiar clichés and characters
of those cheesy old sci-fi series like Star Trek, etc, Galaxy Quest
still possesses a healthy reverence for the genre as a whole.
	Twenty years ago the sci-fi action series Galaxy Quest was a
cult hit on television.  When the show was cancelled, the stars found
themselves forever typecast as gallant space heroes, but have found
good roles hard to come by.  For the past two decades they have
existed mainly by appearing at regular conventions for die hard fans
and opening new shopping centres.
	Unexpectedly they are offered the ultimate gig when the last
remaining Thermians come to Earth seeking help to defeat the merciless
Sarris, a galactic invader who has destroyed their home planet.  The
Thermians have picked up television signals from Earth and have
interpreted the various shows (including Gilligan's Island) as
important historical documents.  The naive and trusting Thermians
place the responsibility of ensuring their survival and the defeat of
Sarris on the shoulders of a bunch of actors who have become
disillusioned with the heroic characters with which they are
synonymous.
	While on the tv series, their daring exploits looked so easy,
with the help of cheap special effects and miniature props.  This time
they're playing for real, with the future of the universe at stake.
Yet, in defending the hapless Thermians, the crew finally discover
exactly what their show and their characters have meant to many people
over the years.
	Dean Parosit, whose previous film was the little seen black
comedy Home Fries, maintains a cracking pace throughout, and directs
with an infectious enthusiasm.  He is supported by a wonderful cast,
whose performances seem to capture the spirit of this enjoyable piece
of nonsense.
	Tim Allen is perfectly cast as the egotistical Nesmith, who
basks in the glory of his fans yet holds them, and his fellow
co-stars, in contempt.  Sporting a blonde wig, Sigourney Weaver looks
rather like Jane Fonda, circa Barbarella, but she seems to be having
fun sending up the image of stereotypical female roles in sci-fi
films.  Alan Rickman is delightfully droll and deadpan as the veteran
Shakespearean actor who resents being remembered purely for his
undemanding offsider role as the loyal alien lieutenant.  Sam
Rockwell, from Lawn Dogs and The Green Mile, etc, brings some energy
to his role as the plucky comic relief, the extra along for the ride,
who constantly bemoans the fact that, given his nonentity status, he
will most likely be the first one killed.
	The clever script is peppered with in-jokes, and contains some
sly digs at the unwanted baggage that is a part of being famous.  The
excessive nature of many fans is also explored with biting humour.
The special effects are tremendous, as are some of the battle
sequences.  Somewhat surprisingly, Galaxy Quest has more snap and
action than many other recent sci-fi dramas that have taken themselves
a little too seriously.

***
greg king
http://www.netau.com.au/gregking