

http://www.speakers-podium.com/susangranger.

Susan Granger's review of "GALAXY QUEST" (DreamWorks)
        Glory, Hallelujah - this is the Christmas action comedy you've
been waiting for! Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony
Shalhoub, and Daryl Mitchell play five actors who - 20 years ago -
starred on a popular television series that was canceled. For four
seasons, from 1979 to 1982, they played the crew of the NSEA Protector
- now they earn their living appearing in costume at sci-fi
conventions and chain-store openings. However, far in deep, outer
space, the Thermians, a race of aliens from the Klatu Nebula, have
intercepted Earth's TV transmissions and, having no knowledge of
fiction or drama, they have mistaken the sci-fi shows for valid
historical documents. So when they're faced with a deadly adversary,
the ruthless Roth'h'ar Sarris of Fatu-Krey (Robin Sachs), the
Thermians abduct the characters - Comdr. Peter Quincy Taggert,
Lt. Tawny Madison, Dr. Lazarus, et al - not realizing they're really
out-of-work actors. With no script, no director, and no clue about
real space travel, the actors must turn in the performances of their
lives to become the intergalactic heroes they've convinced everyone
they are, as they encounter cannibalistic Blue Demon children, a giant
Rock Monster, and a Pig Lizard. As the vain, self-serving commander,
Tim Allen has never been better. Sigourney Weaver is a sexy, shameless
babe, and Alan Rickman is outrageous as a Shakespearean-trained Brit
who has been reduced to playing a half-human/half reptile. On the
Granger Movie Gauge of 1 to 10, Galaxy Quest is an exuberant,
enormously funny 8. Aptly directed by Dean Parisot from a cleverly
ironic screenplay by David Howard and Robert Gordon, it's a bright,
shiny holiday package of pure enjoyment, destined to blast into one of
the big hits of the season.