Subject: REVIEW: GROUNDHOG DAY

From: [email-masked] (berardinelli,james)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1993 00:03:54 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies.]

				   GROUNDHOG DAY
		       A film review by James Berardinelli
			Copyright 1993 James Berardinelli

Running Length:  1:41
Rated:  PG (Little offensive)

Starring:  Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliot
Director:  Harold Ramis
Producers:  Trevor Albert and Harold Ramis
Screenplay:  Danny Rubin and Harold Ramis
Music:  George Fenton
Released by Columbia Pictures

     Pittsburgh weatherman Phil Connors (Bill Murray) is having one of
the most unpleasant days of his life on February 2 in Punxsutawney, 
Pennsylvania where he's covering the Groundhog Day celebration.  It's
one of those days when Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect.  But
Phil soon discovers that things are worse than they first seemed,
because for him, and him alone, time has stopped.  Now, he's trapped in
a bizarre time loop where he's destined to re-live Groundhog Day over
and over again, with no apparent hope of reprieve or release, and no
way of telling anyone else since he's the only one that realizes what's
happening.

     It's deja vu gone mad.  This is one of the most fresh and original
comedies to grace the screen in a long time.  After starting with an
interesting premise, the film executes the story in a manner worthy of
the idea.  From beginning to end, GROUNDHOG DAY is enjoyable.  Written
with an intelligent viewer in mind, the picture will likely charm even
the most cynical movie-goer.

     With as much repetition as there is in GROUNDHOG DAY, it would be
easy for the film to get bogged down.  Solid directing, combined with 
judicious editing, eliminate the problem.  The only time we see a scene 
repeated is when there's something new (and often amusing) added to it,
and even then we are re-shown little more than what's necessary for the
effect.  The story always moves forward, often in unexpected
directions.

     The comedy is of the highest caliber.  Absent are the inane sight
gags and puns of films like HEXED and LOADED WEAPON 1.  Instead,
GROUNDHOG DAY finds its humor in situations and characters.  It makes
use of Bill Murray's prodigious talent as a comic and allows him to
play off of the more serious Andie MacDowell.  While the chemistry
between them isn't smouldering, they work well together.  Their
characters' romance is credible because it's low-key.

     GROUNDHOG DAY isn't a science fiction or fantasy film, so it's not 
interested in answering the technical questions of how the time loop
came about, or what might happen if Murray's character Phil stayed up
all night.  Instead, it presents the situation to the audience, then
does as much as it can with it.  Suspension of disbelief is necessary,
but not difficult to achieve.  This may not be the perfect way to set
up a movie but, at least in this case, it works.

     With all of the formula-driven comedies available today, many of
which are unfunny or only occasionally amusing, it's a joy to find
something as unique as GROUNDHOG DAY.  This movie has all the qualities
necessary to a good comedy: likable characters, charismatic
performers, a strong premise that is capably executed, and a lot of
laughs.  This might be one to see over and over and over....

                         Rating:  8.7 (A-, ***)

- James Berardinelli ([email-masked])