Subject: Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

From: Steve Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:45:02 -0000

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
A film review by Steve Rhodes
Copyright 2001 Steve Rhodes
RATING (0 TO ****):  ** 1/2

If you're in the eight to twelve age group, have I got the perfect movie for you
-- HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE.  If you're under eight, the movie will
be too scary and long for you, and, if you're over twelve, you'll likely be
bored.

Directed by Chris Columbus (BICENTENNIAL MAN and STEPMOM) and scripted by Steven
Kloves (THE WONDER BOYS), the movie is, of course, based on J.K. Rowling's first
novel in her wildly successful series about the exploits of Harry Potter, wizard
extraordinaire.  

The movie has two serious flaws.  First, Daniel Radcliffe, as Harry, is almost
devoid of personality.  Reportedly Steven Spielberg, when he was considering the
project, wanted Haley Joel Osment (THE SIXTH SENSE) to play Harry.  Osment could
have given Harry some real energy and life.  Second, the film is a full hour too
long, coming in at just over two-and-one-half hours.  What was Warner Brothers
thinking when they let the director deliver a PG movie that long?  Kids will be
fidgeting like crazy before it is finally over.  At an hour-and-a-half, I might
have been able to recommend it but not at its bloated final cut. 

Don't get me wrong, this is a movie filled with some great visuals.  In fact,
the visuals are the movie, and the story, for those who haven't read the book,
will seem at best inconsequential and at worst confusing.  There is a wonderful,
life-sized, killer chess game -- one of many scenes that make the film
questionable for those under eight -- and a sort of polo game played in the air
on broomsticks.  There is also an extremely ferocious three-headed canine
monster that guards the sorcerer's stone.  The sets and the special effects are
almost certain to get Academy Award nominations.

Some of the acting, with the aforementioned significant exception, is quite
good.  Easily the best is by scene stealer Emma Watson as Harry's companion,
Hermione Granger.  This first-time screen actress has an endearing type-A
personality that reminds one of what Reese Witherspoon must have been like when
she was young.

One thing is certain.  Whether you like the movie or not, you'll be incapable of
getting its catchy tune out of your head.  I predict that you'll be humming it
in your sleep from now until the next edition of the Harry Potter saga comes out
at this time next year.

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE runs way, way too long at 2:32.  It is
rated PG for "some scary moments and mild language" and would be acceptable for
kids around 7 or 8 and up.  A PG-13 rating would have more appropriately
reflected the level of fright in the film.

My son Jeffrey, age 12, gave the movie ****, saying that it was one of the best
films of the year.  He thought it was an excellent movie that stayed true to the
book.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, November 16, 2001.  In
the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC and the Century theaters.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com
Email: [email-masked]

***********************************************************************

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email? 
Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30195
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 266140
X-RT-TitleID: 1109764
X-RT-SourceID: 703
X-RT-AuthorID: 1271