Subject: Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

From: Karina Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:25:26 -0000

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone

Full Price Feature for Fans

I blame Alan Rickman.  I was never going to read these books, never involve
my self in any way with Pottermania, and then I saw Rickman in the first
preview for this months ago.  "Mmmister Potter?"  So I read J. K. Rowling's
book that reads like a crack pipe, and the next, and the nextŠNeedless to
say, by the time I actually saw the film, expectations were high, as were
they for the audience of critics(and critics' friends with the greatest
bribing power).  It is one thing to read about flocks of owls delivering
the post, and a whole other thing to see it.  Lovely.

I can safely say, with nary a qualm, that if you read this book, you will,
at the very absolute worst, really like this movie.  If you did not read
this book, I want to hear from you!  How does it play?  I for one wondered
how non-familiars would take to the story.  For one thing, considering the
title, one might think it gets to that point awfully slowly, not realizing
what a delicious little trip (and important foreshadowing, er, I mean,
exposition) it is on the way.  My companion and I were constantly
whispering, "That's exactly as I pictured it!" and giggling with glee at
how dead on director Chris Columbus nailed the feeling of the book.   I
think that feel is always harder than story, especially when this story is
so artfully lean and well-paced.  As my boyfriend put it, anyone who
couldn't make a good movie out of this book has got to be an idiot.  Yes,
he crammed for the release, reading the novel (which practically plays out
in real time) in two days.

Back to the actual film.  Daniel Radcliffe initially turned down this role,
which would have been insane, but thankfully he saw the light.  And I have
to tell you, I am not the only adult woman who is waiting for him to grow
up.  'Nuff said there.  He is perfect.  I mean, freakily perfect - not just
looking like Harry but he's got the beaten  down humbleness and the natural
graciousness and - he's great.  I may have to break off my engagement with
Haley Joel Osment.  The whole cast is marvelous.  Yes, keen-eyed fans,
that's Warwick "Willow" Davis at Gringott's.

I was actually panicked, fearing that Richard Harris somehow would not
survive to play Dumbledore in all 7 movies. Seven books there will be and
Warner Brothers, who hasn't had a profitable franchise since halfway
through Batman, is ready to play ball I am sure.  The actors completely
inhabited their roles, though they were actually not given much screen time
to do so.  It is possible the filmmaker relied a little much on reader
familiarity with the characters.  I loved Maggie Smith and John Cleese and
of course, Alan Rickman makes everything worthwhile.   I have a huge crush
on the lad, Sean Biggerstaff, who plays Oliver Wood.  The painting which
guards Gryffindor's dormitory section is played by no one more perfect than
Elizabeth Spriggs, who is not seen nearly enough in this film.  Hopefully,
Prisoner of Azhkaban will have more of these lovely secondary characters.

Here's a potion Snape would be proud of: take Oscar-magnet composer John
Williams, Industrial Light and Magic, production designer Stuart Craig, DP
John Seale, Jim Henson's Creature Shop, a highly trained and winsome cast
of English smartypants, a can't miss concept and a family-friendly
director.  Mix in a cauldron with (in the spirit of The Hitchhiker's
Guide's No Tea) No Icky Pop Song, No Dated References, No Pandering, and
especially No Americana, and you have a charming 152 minutes at the movies.
And unlike the new Star Wars abominations, this super-hyped movie event is
actually worth your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These reviews (c) 2001 Karina Montgomery.  Please feel free to forward
but just credit the reviewer in the text.  Thanks.
[email-masked]
Check out previous reviews at:
http://www.cinerina.com
http://ofcs.rottentomatoes.com - the Online Film Critics Society
http://www.hsbr.net/reviews/karina/ - Hollywood Stock Exchange Brokerage
Resource
http://www.mediamotions.com
http://www.capitol-city.com

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30241
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 266835
X-RT-TitleID: 1109764
X-RT-SourceID: 755
X-RT-AuthorID: 3661