Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rhodes)
Date: 30 Dec 1996 14:54:05 GMT

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
                       A film review by Steve Rhodes
                        Copyright 1996 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****):  ****

     "I know what I'm going to do tomorrow and the next day and the
next year and the year after that," says James Stewart as the exuberant
and supremely confident new high school graduate George Bailey.  "I'm
going to shake the dust of this crummy little town off my feet.  I'm
going to see the world then I'm going to build things."

     In the great Frank Capra's classic 1946 movie IT'S A WONDERFUL
LIFE, George will never get to follow any of these dreams.  Like his
father (Samuel S. Hinds) before him, George is genetically incapable of
thinking of himself first.  No matter how bad he wants something, he is
so selfless that he will give up everything to help his fellowman.
Although his father seems content with his charitable life, George has
places he wants to see and bridges he plans on building.  None of this
is ever to be for George, but by the show's conclusion George will come
to realize what a wonderful life he has anyway.

     Set mainly in a cold and snowy environment and with the show's
conclusion at Christmas Eve, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a great film for
the holidays.  Although sometimes bordering on the maudlin, it remains
a beautifully uplifting story and a sweet little comedy as well.

     When his father passes away suddenly, George is called to take
over his father's shaky savings and loan (called a buildings and loan
back then).  George had his bags packed, but gives up his world trip to
help the town.

     The town of Bedford Falls is controlled by the nefarious Mr.
Potter, played with convincingly evil overtones by Lionel Barrymore.
He is "the richest and meanest man in the county" and a slum landlord
that rents at exorbitant rates the only places in town.  George's
buildings and loan provides low cost loans that the townsfolk use to
become home owners rather than renters.  There is a constant battle
with Potter trying to take over the whole town including the buildings
and loan.  Although Potter is already "so rich he can never spend it
all," he wants more.  He wants to own every inch of Bedford Falls.

     James Stewart's Academy Award nominated performance is what most
people remember from the movie, but there is so much more.  Donna Reed
gives a radiantly lovely characterization of his wife Mary.  Just as
unselfish and hard working as George, she is the love of his life.  The
lighting shines on her face in such a way that you will swear her face
is lit from within.

     There is a scene in the film when they are dating where her robe
gets pulled off and she hides naked in the hydrangea bushes.  This
scene has a wonderfully innocent sensuality to it without ever showing
any flesh or using any provocative language.  Film makers today are
incapable of anything this subtle when it comes to romance.

     Uncle Billy, played charmingly by Thomas Mitchell, is George's
unreliable second-in-command.  Uncle Billy keeps strings tied around
his fingers so he will not forget things, but then goes and neglects to
notice the strings.  One day this causes George's business to start to
go down the tubes.  It at this point in the story that George snaps,
and what was a pleasant comedy is transformed into a great film.

     After George's outburst of anger, he considers suicide, but is
saved by his Guardian angel, Clarence (Henry Travers).  To make George
become himself again, Clarence shows George what the town would be like
if George had never lived.  As Clarence puts it, "You've been given a
great gift, George.  A chance to see what the world would be like
without you."  Bedford Falls is now Pottersville.  No peaceful Normal
Rockwell hamlet anymore.  It is closer to Sodom and Gomorrah with
garish neon signs and loud music announcing all the bars and other
lucrative dens of iniquity.  Mr. Potter is richer than ever and the
town poorer.

     The show ends in a miracle as true as the human spirit that the
film embodies.

     IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE runs 2:09, and I loved every minute of it.
It is not rated but would get a G.  There is no sex, nudity, or
profanity.  The violence consists of one punch thrown in anger.
Suicide is contemplated so there is a small chance that very young kids
might get scared. "It was an okay movie," said my son Jeffrey, age 7
1/2. "The only part I really liked was when they were kids."  He gave
it a thumbs sideways.  To enjoy the film kids probably need to be a
little bit older than Jeffrey.  This simple story full of old
fashioned, but nevertheless, relevant values is exceptional.  I
recommend it strongly to you and give it a full ****.

______________________________________________________________________
**** = One of the top few films of this or any year.  A must see film.
***  = Excellent show.  Look for it.
**   = Average movie.  Kind of enjoyable.
*    = Poor show.  Don't waste your money.
0    = One of the worst films of this or any year.  Totally unbearable.

REVIEW WRITTEN ON: December 26, 1996

Opinions expressed are mine and not meant to reflect my employer's.