Subject: REVIEW: JURASSIC PARK

From: [email-masked] (Brian L. Johnson)
Date: 17 Jun 93 13:49:28 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies.  -Moderator]

                             JURASSIC PARK
                      A film review by Ken Johnson
                       Copyright 1993 Ken Johnson

2:10, PG-13, Science Fiction/Action, 1993
Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Richard Attenborough, Jeff Goldblum, 
      Samuel L. Jackson

     Richard Attenborough makes living dinosaurs from their DNA and
makes a theme park, Jurassic Park, of them on an island of Costa Rica.
He invites scientists Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum to comes
see Jurassic Park.  While the scientists are on the tour some
carnivorous dinosaurs get loose and threaten the whole group.

     JURASSIC PARK is one of the projected summer blockbusters and has
been incredibly hyped up.  This film is not as good as it was supposed
to be.  However, the film is still worth going to see.  Definitely see
this film on the big screen because of the big budget special effects
that will definitely loose their impact on a television screen.  On a
scale of zero to five, I give JURASSIC PARK a four.  JURASSIC PARK is
rated PG-13 for violence and explicit language.

     JURASSIC PARK is loosely based on the novel by Michael Crichton,
who also co-wrote the film.  The film doesn't follow the novel very
faithfully and those that have read the novel may be disappointed with
the film.  The special effects for this film are great, especially the
dinosaurs.  They appear so life-like.

     The film is well written and moves along smoothly.  Some parts are
quite predictable, but what can you expect.  The film does have some
surprises too.  The characters are well done and are written so that
the viewer can't help from hoping that they survive (or bite it
depending on your frame of mind).

     The acting in JURASSIC PARK is great.  Sam Neill (MEMOIRS OF AN
INVISIBLE MAN, DEAD CALM) does a great job as one of the paleontologists
and Laura Dern (WILD AT HEART, RAMBLING ROSE) is excellent as the other
paleontologist.  Richard Attenborough (director of CHAPLIN and GANDHI) is
one of my favorite actors in this film.  His performance is perfect.
Jeff Goldblum (THE FLY, INTO THE NIGHT) does a reasonably good job.  His
acting is not the best (but is much better than some of his old films
-- TRANSYLVANIA 6-5000 comes to mind).  Samuel L. Jackson (NATIONAL
LAMPOON'S LOADED WEAPON 1, PATRIOT GAMES) is my other favorite actor in
this film.

--------
Ken Johnson
[email-masked]