Subject: Review: K-Pax (2001)

From: Aleksandar Zambelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:58:12 -0000

Movie Review:
"K-PAX"
Director: Iain Softley
Starring: Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, Mary McCormack
Genre: drama / thriller

Kevin Spacey is one of those actors that over the years I have simply
learned to trust. With a track record of hits such as "Swimming With
Sharks," "Se7en," "The Usual Suspects," "LA Confidential" and "American
Beauty," it's difficult to question his career moves. However, I must admit
that upon seeing the previews for his newest movie "K-PAX," I had some
doubts. Could the infallible Spacey make a mistake? Well, after seeing the
movie, all I can tell you is that betting on Spacey is as sure as investing
in Microsoft stock on the day before XBox is released.

A strange patient who goes under the name of Prot (Kevin Spacey) is
admitted into the Manhattan Psychiatric Clinic. Prot claims to be from
K-PAX, a distant planet in a galaxy 1,000 light years away. Dr. Mark Powell
(Jeff Bridges - "The Big Lebowski," "The Fisher King") approaches the case
at first as a typical case of delusion, but Prot is so convincing that Dr.
Powell can't help believing him. At the same time, Prot seems to have a
positive influence on the other mental patients at the ward. However, the
more Dr. Powell digs into Prot's mind, the stranger Prot's case becomes. Is
he human or alien?

I'm glad to report that this is a movie for which previews do not do it
justice. The trailers I saw for the movie led me to believe that it was
going to be a typical Hollywood "feel good" drama about an alien who comes
to Earth and after a series of heartbreaking events ultimately realizes
planet Earth is unique because of love or some crap like that. I
congratulate the writers for avoiding that cliché and for pushing the
story to another level. The script is well written, with much room left for
interpretation and an ambiguous ending that will surely be a hot topic of
discussion among fans. At the beginning of the movie, we are led to believe
that Prot is an alien, almost beyond a shadow of a doubt. Later in the
movie, however, the pendulum swings the other way as the possibility of his
human nature increases.

Kevin Spacey turns in yet another charismatic performance, even though the
role does show some limitations. The highlight of his performance is
definitely during the hypnosis scenes in which he does several different
characters and is given enough room to show off his acting ability. Jeff
Bridges appears in a role very reminiscent of the one in Terry Gilliam's
"The Fisher King," yet wildly different than the one in "The Big Lebowski."
Bridges is one of those actors that will probably never be a giant name in
Hollywood, but will always provide us with good and believable performances
in any movie he's in.
Director Iain Softley creates a good atmosphere and paces the story so that
it is suspenseful and not boring. This is not an easy task, mind you.
Pacing in any movie is tricky; just a few extra minutes can sometimes be
enough to throw the audience over the top and swing the movie from State of
Suspense to State of Dreary Dull. Softley's use of sunlight as a leitmotif
in the movie is clever; a good eye for detail is always a sign of a
talented director.

With the Academy Award nominations approaching quickly, we are sure to see
more good movies come out in the months to come. I believe "K-PAX" is the
opening act for the Oscar season, and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few
months it finds its way to the list of Oscar nominations. It's Hollywood,
it's Spacey, it's likeable. I'm telling you, you can't lose with Spacey.

Score:  7 / 10

--

=========================
=============
 E-Mail: [email-masked]
 WWW: http://www.fit.edu/~azambell
 ICQ UIN: 7003861
=========================
=============

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30109
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 263350
X-RT-TitleID: 1110283
X-RT-AuthorID: 4512
X-RT-RatingText: 7/10