Subject: Review: K-Pax (2001)

From: Dennis Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:47:25 -0000

K-PAX (director/writer: Iain Softley; screenwriters: Charles Leavitt/based on
the novel by Gene Brewer; cinematographer: John Mathieson; editor: Craig McKay;
music: Edward Shearmur; cast: Kevin Spacey (Prot), Jeff Bridges (Dr. Mark
Powell), Alfre Woodard (Claudia), Mary McCormack (Rachel Powell), Peter Gerety
(Sal), Saul 
Williams (Ernie), David Patrick Kelly (Howie), Celia Weston (Mrs. Doris Archer),
Melanee Murray (Bess), Kimberly Scott (Joyce), Ajay Naidu (Dr. Chakraborty);
Runtime: 118; Universal Pictures; 2001) 

Reviewed by Dennis Schwartz 

K-Pax is about a genial workaholic shrink at a fancy Manhattan psychiatric
hospital, Dr. Mark Powell (Jeff Bridges), treating a highly intellectual and
gentle man (Kevin Spacey) who calls himself Prot and insists he comes from an
unknown planet called K-Pax. He makes his grand entrance in Grand Central
Station to the beat of some New Age tunes, where he appears suddenly in the
crowded station during the mugging of a woman while dressed in dark sun glasses
with a golden aura surrounding him and a panhandler looking up at him in wonder
because the man came from "nowhere." This makes him either a mental case or an
alien. He is referred by the police to Bellevue for mental observations, then to
Dr. Powell's clinic for a more intensive study. The more interesting choice is,
of course, if he can keep up the cocky alien act and really be from that planet
which is a thousand light years away. He is someone who has supernatural powers,
is far superior morally and intellectually than mere earthlings, as he probes
with a detached air into human problems and dispenses remedies at will while
making a report on his five year visit to Earth. The fun in the story is in
pursuing the mystery and once the film throws light upon the mystery, the story
falls apart in its pool of psychobabble. 

Prot will by the film's end miraculously cure at least three severely damaged
mental patients (David Patrick Kelly/Saul Williams/Celia Weston) and help others
in many smaller ways (Melanee Murray/Peter Gerety), he even solves the doc's
ticklish family problem by getting him to talk again with his college son from
his first wife. For about an hour into the film, Prot is a charmer and keeps
this manipulative story mildly probing. He tickles his shrink's curiosity by not
reacting metabolically to high dosages of medicines and drugs; by his confident
attitude that he's a time traveller and that he can disappear at will from the
secure clinic--he takes a holiday north to Greenland for a few days; he even
communicates with a dog by understanding what his barks mean; and, mostly
through his knowledge of celestial science that is superior to a panel of
leading astrophysicists, who assemble in the Rose Center planetarium to hear him
fill them in on what they don't know. It reminded me most of the 1986 Argentine
film by Eliseo Subiela "Man Facing Southeast." That film also left the viewer to
draw his own conclusions on whether the patient is a nut or an alien visitor,
and was also a manipulative film that failed to address the real problems of the
mentally ill except to glorify them in unreal general terms. 

The film had great performances by both Spacey and Bridges, but their contacts
with the mental patients was bogus. It reduced the patients to stereotypes of
what Hollywood films take the mentally ill to be. What it asks from the viewer
is a suspension of disbelief as to all the alien jazz it presents, as the
seduction of the viewer runs parallel to the shrink being gently taken in by the
slight possibility that this one isn't a loony but a real space visitor. As long
as the story kept that plot line going, it had some intrigue. The story was a
balancing act of a duel between the sincere, emotionless but smug Spacey who
could be an alien or someone with a troubled past he deeply repressed and the
plain talking, establishment-orientated suburban shrink who was more clever than
his simple-minded questioning would indicate. 

But the film could never get over the tired script, the familiar story done in
countless mainstream films, and the plodding pace of the film. The second hour
of the film was a let down, as the story walked down hospital corridors with
dialogue fit only for a B-film. It nauseously ends with a voice-over from Spacey
telling the earthlings "Get it right this time. This time is all you have." Then
we are treated to seeing Bridges meet his son for a home visit. The message was
too corny for even these fine actors to spit out without looking overly
didactic. But it did get in some good licks at conventional psychiatry and their
inability to cure or even treat great hordes of patients properly and the modern
world's need to praise Jesus and Buddha but reject their non-violent teachings.

It is based on a novel by Gene Brewer and written by Charles Leavitt, and
directed without courage or much imagination by Iain Softley (Backbeat/Hackers).

REVIEWED ON 11/17/2001     GRADE: C 

Dennis Schwartz: "Ozus' World Movie Reviews" 

http://www.sover.net/~ozus 

[email-masked] 

© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED   DENNIS SCHWARTZ

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30248
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 267001
X-RT-TitleID: 1110283
X-RT-SourceID: 873
X-RT-AuthorID: 1315
X-RT-RatingText: C