Subject: REVIEW: LAND BEFORE TIME IV: THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE MISTS (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rhodes)
Date: 16 Jan 1997 20:37:55 GMT

LAND BEFORE TIME IV: THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE MISTS (1996)
                       A film review by Steve Rhodes
                        Copyright 1997 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****):  * 1/2

     Just like shows for grownups, successful kids' movies are
susceptible to the excessive sequel syndrome.  THE LAND BEFORE TIME was
a beautiful movie that could easily charm the whole family.  The next
two sequels were sweet but, lacking the imagination of the first, were
pure formula.  The latest in the series, LAND BEFORE TIME IV: THE
JOURNEY THROUGH THE MISTS, is the least interesting and involving of
the lot.  It provides non-offensive pabulum, but little more.  Like the
other sequels, it went straight to video, bypassing the theaters
entirely.

     Our heroes Ducky (voice by Heather Hogan), Spike (voice by Rob
Paulsen), Petrie (voice by Jeff Bennett), Littlefoot (voice by  Scott
McAfee), and Cera (voice by Candace Hetson) are back.

     This time the story revolves around a rapid climate change that
causes some of Littlefoot's cousins to come and visit.  It seems that
the cousins' home, the Valley of the Mists, has been transformed into a
wet swamp.  New creatures there make it no longer habitable for them.
They are forced to migrate constantly and thus have no place to call
home.

     Littlefoot's grandfather falls ill and the only thing that can
save him is the Night Flower.  And yes, you guessed it.  It can only be
found in the feared Valley of the Mists.

     The standard routine for these series is that the children will
run off without telling their parents and grandparents.  They will
encounter terrifying creatures while gone.  Meanwhile, back home
everyone will be worried.  The canonical story is again relatively
unchanged.

     The major differences between the films are the bad guys, the new
friends, the disasters, and the new land.  Perhaps the major failing of
LAND BEFORE TIME IV is the new monster.  It is a large blind and bland
crocodile named Dil (voice by Tress MacNeille) who is aided by a
wisecracking bird called Ichy (voice by Jeff Bennett).  Neither of
these are the least bit scary.  Previously the dino kids had a
Sharptooth, a.k.a., a T-Rex, after them, and when he roared, you
believed that here was a monster.

     This highly repetitious film has the same earthquake, called earth
shakes, our protagonists have come across before.  A new creature, like
a turtle with webbed feet, called Archie (voice by Charles Durning),
comes to the aid of our heroes.  Typical of the show is Archie's
homespun wisdom, "Where there's a will there's a way or a pulled
muscle."  The cutest creature award this time goes to a mouse called
Tickles (voice by Frank Walker).

     The main tune by James Horner, heard briefly during the film, is
still lovely as are the two times that Ducky gets to say her signature
line, "Yep, yep, yep."  Other than that and one pretty image of the
Valley of the Mists from the mountaintop, there is nothing to compel
you to watch this film.  Kids who are into the series will probably
enjoy the picture, but it is a shame that the producers did not take
the time to breathe a little imagination into the project and were
content instead with this low budget rehash.  Our children deserve
better.

     LAND BEFORE TIME IV runs 1:14 but seems longer since so little
happens.  It is rated G.  The only action of any possible concern to
parents is the scene of the sick grandfather dinosaur who appears to be
dying.  The show should be fine for kids of any age.  I found the movie
lackluster and recommend you choose some other video instead.  The
original would be a good choice.  I give this lifeless version * 1/2.

_______________________________________________________________________

     On the other hand, my son, Jeffrey, age 7 1/2, said:

     "I liked it a lot.  It was a really good movie because it had a
lot of action like all of the other LAND BEFORE TIMEs.  It had more new
characters that the other LAND BEFORE TIMEs.  I recommend it for kids 4
and up."

_______________________________________________________________________
**** = A must see film.
***  = Excellent show.  Look for it.
**   = Average movie.  Kind of enjoyable.
*    = Poor show.  Don't waste your money.
0    = Totally and painfully unbearable picture.

REVIEW WRITTEN ON: January 13, 1997

Opinions expressed are mine and not meant to reflect my employer's.