Subject: REVIEW: LAWNMOWER MAN

From: [email-masked] (Sarah M. Elkins)
Date: 18 Mar 92 18:26:57 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

			        LAWNMOWER MAN
		       A film review by Sarah M. Elkins
			Copyright 1992 Sarah M. Elkins

LAWNMOWER MAN:  Combines some stock elements with the new idea of
virtual reality (VR) to make an enjoyable SF/action/horror flick.

PLOT/KICKOFF:  While on hiatus from his job with a military-oriented
research company involving the new technology of virtual reality
(cyberspace imaging, using computers to 'project' an interactive reality
to users), Dr. Larry Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) starts his own special
experiment to increase the intelligence of the man (Jeff Fahey?) who
mows his lawn.  Things start to go wrong as the experiment has
unexpected results and Angelo's company gets interested in the military
potential of the new line of research.

CHARACTERS/ACTING:  Brosnan is fine as the borderline-obsessed-with-his-
work scientist (not too interested in "informed consent"), and Fahey is
fine showing the transformation of the gradually-getting-smarter
lawnmower man.  Most of the rest of the characters don't have much
depth.  I wasn't sure until three-quarters of the movie was done whether
the blond woman was actually one or two different characters/actresses
(the answer is two).  However, all the characters who got involved in VR
did good jobs making those parts of the movie believable.

CINEMATOGRAPHY/FX:  I've seen bits on 20/20 and elsewhere showing the
use of virtual reality, but this movie had some of the longest segments
I've ever seen.  The segments were well-done, but none of them were
mind-blowing for me.  People who have not tried to keep up with what's
going on with VR, or who haven't seen much computer animation (from
recent animated film festivals, etc.) lately may find it amazing.  The
movie did pretty well at showing what the VR experience might be like
for people actually immersed in VR instead of those just watching it
on-screen.  The transition between ordinary and virtual reality was done
well in every case.  This is probably a better movie for big-screen than
small-screen viewing.

SCORE:  I didn't notice it.

VIOLENCE/GORE:  Belt-whipping, some domestic violence, bullets flying,
implied violent death, bodies disassembling (VR, not gory).

LANGUAGE:  Some profanity, not extreme.

SKIN/SITUATIONS:  Some foreplay, dancing in the sheets, VR sex (not
graphic, pretty in its way).

ANALYSIS:  I understand this movie was loosely based on a Stephen King
short story (no virtual reality involved).  I haven't read it, so can't
comment on that aspect of the movie.  I enjoyed this movie, though not
as much as I had hoped to.  There really was not all that much original
to it except VR, but there were a few nice small touches in it.  One
thing I liked particularly was that this movie *showed* me what was going
on, instead of always *telling* me.  It did not patronize the audience.
Although some might argue with the believability of the side effects of
the VR research, I put that down to the "neurotropic drugs" and left it
at that.  I think it could have been a better movie, but it is probably
worth watching for people interested in VR and cyberpunk, and others who
want to check out the special effects.

- Sarah