Subject: REVIEW: MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN

From: [email-masked] (Sue Roberts)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:01:19 GMT

MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN
		       A film review by Sue Roberts
			Copyright 1994 Sue Roberts

Produced by Francis Ford Coppola.
Directed by Kenneth Branagh. 
Written by Steph Lady and Frank Darabont.

Starring Robert de Niro, Kenneth Branagh, Helena Bonham-Carter,
         Ian Holm, John Cleese,Tom Hulce, Aidan Quinn, Robert Hardy.

     Magnificently theatrical and exceptionally gung-ho.  Branagh's
direction (and acting) captures the excitement of a swashbuckling
adventure story.

     De Niro's humane performance as the "Creature" allowed the horror
of the ideas behind the film room to breathe.  I loved the inclusion of
John Cleese as a doctor on the edge of a fearsome discovery.  It
rewound the Monty Python "Organ Donor" sketch back to it's origins.

     After THE SECRET GARDEN, Ford Coppola seems to have hit his
stride, portraying revolting antiquated medical techniques.

     The action was played out on vast operatic sets and this is one of
those rare films where everything comes together to create a cohesive
whole (and I don't just mean the monster).

     The screenplay is a clever synthesis of the Monster's tale within
Mary Shelley's book, and the early experiments with electricity which
so fascinated her husband.  The tale as written is fairly circumspect.
Much of the horror portrayed hints at biographical details in the
authors own life.

     Branagh's performance is of a student obsessed with science for
the benefit of mankind.  He sets out with the best of intentions, never
considering the practical consequences, should he succeed!

     What makes this tale of 1816 contemporary is that his relief at
not being discovered makes him keep silent.

     Central to the whole piece though, is the discussion of ethics.
Should portions of one human be used for another? Whether it is
Frankenstein, as the handler of raw materials, is responsible, or those
who cannot accept deformity.  The father of a son who is violent, and
beyond his control.

     I was really shocked that this film has a "15" certificate.  If
you are not a vegetarian when you go in, you may be by the time you
come out.  The Hollywood competition is perhaps measured in pints of
red ink, but the lighting on the creature's attempts to stand almost
hint at God wrestling with his conscience.  Shall he allow this
ambitious young man to feel the burden of creation with all it's
triumphs and it's terrors?

     "I bid my hideous progeny go forth and prosper," was Mary
Shelley's comment on her work....

Sue Roberts.
[email-masked]