Subject: REVIEW: MATINEE

From: [email-masked] (Brian L. Johnson)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1993 15:44:09 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies.]

                                  MATINEE
                       A film review by Ken Johnson
                        Copyright 1993 Ken Johnson

1:43, PG, Comedy, 1993
Director: Joe Dante
Cast: John Goodman, Cathy Moriarty, Simon Fenton, Omri Katz,      
      Kellie Martin, Lisa Jakub, Dick Miller, David Clennon,      
      Kevin McCarthy, John Sayles

     In a small Floridian town, the occupants are worried about being
bombed by the Russians from Cuba.  What better a time for Lawrence
Woolsey, John Goodman, to open one of his new B horror films?  Goodman,
with Cathy Moriarty, one of his actresses, comes to the town to
personally unveil his new "Rumble-vision."  Simon Fenton is new to the
town and likes Lisa Jakub.  Omri Katz is in love with Kellie Martin, but
her ex-con ex-boyfriend wants Katz to stay away from her.

     MATINEE is a love story, spoof of old horror films, and a comedy
about people overreacting in a panic situation.  People from around the
time of the Cuban missile crisis (who like comedies) will most likely
love this film.  Also people who were born after that time, but have had
exposure to old B horror movies, will probably also love this film (I
did!).  On a scale of zero to five, I give MATINEE a five.  MATINEE is
rated PG for explicit language and adult situations.

     The cast for this film I feel does an excellent job.  Rising above
the rest of this cast is John Goodman (ARACHNOPHOBIA, "Roseanne").  He
gives his usual excellent performance.  Cathy Moriarty (KINDERGARTEN
COP, NEIGHBORS) does a great job with her role.  The young cast Simon
Fenton, Omri Katz, Kellie Martin ("Life Goes On"), and Lisa Jakub all
give great performances.   The two men against Woolsey's film, John
Sayles and Dick Miller (FAR FROM HOME, AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON) I
think, do a great job and are highlights in the film.   Kevin McCarthy
(THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS [1956 and
1978 versions]) is excellent as an actor in Lawrence Woolsey's film.

     The film shown in this film is great.  It does a wonderful job of
spoofing the horror films from the time (I have seen some from that time
on the late, late, late, late night movies).  The way this film within a
film was done adds a lot to the finished product and especially the end.
The film (both) are very well written and directed, by Joe Dante
(GREMLINS, AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON).  The film is photographed
beautifully.

--------
Ken Johnson
[email-masked]