Subject: Review: Metropolis (2001/II)

From: Steve Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:19:13 -0000

METROPOLIS

A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2002 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****):  ***

Rintaro's METROPOLIS is a stunning visual achievement.  It is not only the most
spectacularly gorgeous anime I've ever seen; it is also one of the most
beautiful animated films ever.  But, unlike PRINCESS MONONOKE, the gold standard
when it comes to anime, METROPOLIS suffers from the lack of a compelling or
comprehensible narrative.  Still, as a visual treat, the film is almost
unsurpassed.

Set in a large, futuristic city, the movie's sets are a fascinating mix of
sci-fi and art deco.  Perhaps the best scene occurs early on as the camera pans
about while fireworks explode.  Another dazzler for the eyes is the intricate
marble floor inside the buildings.  The movie is said to have been inspired by
Fritz Lang's classic 1927 silent film of the same name.

Sony Pictures made a major strategic mistake in deciding in most markets to
release not the English dubbed version but the Japanese dubbed version.  (The
DVD will undoubtedly have both languages available.)  Almost all animes,
including the extremely popular PRINCESS MONONOKE, have been released in the
United States in English.  Since there is so much going on visually in
METROPOLIS, one is forced to make a decision on whether to read the words or
watch the images.  With METROPOLIS's less than overwhelming storyline, the
choice is easy.  Since most of the characters in this film are drawn to look
decidedly European, listening to Japanese coming out of their mouths rather
reminds one of watching a dubbed John Wayne movie in a Tokyo hotel room. 
Finally, don't misunderstand me.  I much prefer live-action films to be
subtitled rather than dubbed, but not animated movies, which have to have a
voice track added later anyway, so the voices can easily be in any language.

I hate to say it, but I'd recommend you wait for the video release of METROPOLIS
unless your town is fortunate to be one of the few playing the movie with the
English version of the voice track rather than the Japanese one.

METROPOLIS runs 1:47.  The film is in Japanese with English subtitles.  It is
rated PG-13 for "violence and images of destruction" and would be acceptable for
kids old enough to read fast moving text.

The film is playing in nationwide release now in the United States.  In the
Silicon Valley, it is showing at the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email: [email-masked]

***********************************************************************

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?  

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30886
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 282778
X-RT-TitleID: 1111058
X-RT-SourceID: 703
X-RT-AuthorID: 1271
X-RT-RatingText: 3/4