Subject: Review: Mission to Mars (2000)

From: "R.L. Strong" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 2000 19:31:52 GMT

"Mission to Mars"
review by R.L. Strong
** stars out of  *****

The realm of Science Fiction has always been an allegory of political
and or moral sensibilities. The best tales of the genre deal with
mankind's struggle for survival or knowledge. Such popular and
noteworthy tomes as "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein,
"Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke and "Man in the High Castle" and
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick all deal with
man's need for identity and struggle for self worth.

Hollywood has regularly adapted the milieu (if not the message) of
Science Fiction since it's beginnings. Most films just created fancy
pulp tales with no more thought that the escapism they achieved. It
really wasn't until Producer George Pal, took charge of Robert
Heinlein's novel "Rocketship Galileo" and crafted the film
"Destination Moon", that 'Sci-Fi' (as it is commonly referred to),
came into it's own. From there, such diverse filmmakers as Roger
Corman to Stanley Kubrick, have sought to express ideas through the
medium of the genre. With the release of Touchstone Pictures "Mission
to Mars", we have an unabashedly nonchalant Sci-Fi film for those who
read The National Enquirer and The Globe.

The film opens on a summer barbecue, as Phil Ohlmyer (Jerry O'Connell)
woos a young female with his tales of space glory and the upcoming
mission. Woody Blake (Tim Robbins) and his wife Terri (Connie Nielsen)
commit to his coming authority on the mission, and Luc Goddard (Don
Cheadle) consoles his son.

Entering the party is Jim McConnell (Gary Sinise), who gave up command
of the mission due to the untimely death of his wife,  Maggie (Kim
Delaney). Luc consoles Jim with Woody's assistance. The three men are
friends and carry a fine bond of trust and caring between them. But
Jim still longs to set foot on the Red Planet.

The mission is in earnest as Luc and his team land in the Cydonia
region of Mars. They send out the rover to investigate the area and
discover what seems to be water or ice under the surface. Going out to
investigate, Luc and his team approach the famed 'Face on Mars'. A
strange noise emanates from the rock. As the team tries to scan
through the rock with radar, a violent wind storm erupts, creating a
vortex that kills all members of the team, save for Luc.

Back on the space station orbiting Earth, Woody and Jim receive the
information that the Mars landing team is missing. Luc's interference
laden emergency message urges the two men to attempt a second mission
to the red planet in the hopes of rescuing the previous team. The
second journey to the Martian world is fraught with danger. Meteorite
showers, explosions, and rescues all come into play as the intrepid
heroes make there way to the planet's surface. The big question is, is
there now or has there ever been intelligent life on Mars. And if so,
what is its relationship with us?

Now for the bad news. The entire plot of  "Mission to Mars" is based
almost wholeheartedly on outdated and preposterous National Enquirer
type Martian civilization tripe. The famed 'Face on Mars' becomes the
centerpiece of the film, revealing some of the most harebrained sci-fi
pabulum  the screen has witnessed. Borrowing ideas from such films as
"Robinson Crusoe on Mars" (1964), Quatermass and the Pit (1967),
"2001: A Space Odyssey", and even Mario Bava's "Planet of the
Vampires"('Terrore nello spazio') (1965), "Mission to Mars" is a
hodgepodge of ideas that don't add up to a satisfying whole.

While some sequences are wonderfully handled and executed, the film
remains flat and un-involving. So much time is giving to establishing
the lead characters in the film, but to no good use. The performances
are all workmen like, with only Don Cheadle (as Luc) carrying any sort
of real chemistry. Gary Sinise is wasted in role that requires him to
look as if he is experiencing sleep depravation. And the mistaken idea
of having Jerry O'Connell (as Phil Ohlmyer) play his part for comic
relief is just too painful to excuse. And the less said about Tim
Robbins called in from home performance the better. He's just having
too much fun here to give a damn.

The script has a few lapses, namely that after discovering several
breaches in the hull of the ship caused by a meteorite shower, no one
thinks of checking the fuel tanks or the remainder of the ship for
damage. This of course leads to our heroes having to abandon their
rescue ship. Also, when one character sacrifices himself,  the
character takes on a religious demeanor that is completely at odds
with the situation.

But the biggest offence in the film is the horrid, intrusive score by
Ennio Morricone. Subtlety is non-existent here. In fact in some scenes
the music becomes so extravagant that dialogue is almost drowned out.
The only sequence in which the score almost works is during the
protracted meteorite shower.

The pacing of the film is very leisurely. After the opening
introduction of the characters (which lasts a full 22 minutes), we are
finally dropped onto the Martian surface. Then, there is another long
pause in the plot for more character development, including an
elaborate dance sequence in zero gravity. The film could lose about 30
minutes and actually gain some momentum. There are so many scenes of
talking heads, discussing what we already know is going to happen,
that it drags the film to a dead stop.

The good news is that the film is absolutely sumptuous to look at. The
vistas of the planet Mars are majestic and awe inspiring. The design
of the numerous spacecraft and suits are all expertly drafted, with a
level of realism that hasn't been seen since "2001: A Space Odyssey".
The visual effects are just stunning, from the space walk sequences,
to the visualization of evolution on Earth. The only fault come with
the Martians themselves, which look more like something out of a
plastic model kit than something from another world.

Director De Palma stages some wonderfully creative scenes through out
the film. The opening sequence alone in a seemingly un-interrupted cut
lasting almost 15 minutes (an homage' to Hitchcock's "Rope"), as we
are introduced to all of the characters. Scenes in the rescue ship,
with its rotating centrifuge, are just amazing in their execution. But
the nagging question, is the final explanation worth all of this Sturm
und Drang.
Sadly it is not.

Director Brian De Palma has crafted an extravagant production. The set
design and visual effects are all arresting. But it's the comic strip
denouncement that ruin what might have been a fine return to good
adventurous, thought provoking science fiction. A disappointing film,
but one that might still entertain if you can settle for the visuals.

© 2000 R.L. Strong
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/5594/reviews.main