Subject: Review: Mission to Mars (2000)

From: "Fontaine Lien" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Mar 2000 17:47:46 GMT

"Mission to Mars" Review
by Fontaine Lien
Spoiler warning.

"Mission to Mars" is one of those annoying movies where, in the middle
of the movie, you get the sneaking suspicion that the reason the
trailer looks so good is because they showcased ALL the best parts of
the movie: all five minutes of it.  "Mission" *does* give you payoff;
but when it does come, it's too little, too late.

"Mission" has some good ideas, but they get lost in the unbearably
boring delivery, dime-a-dozen dialogue, and spate of good actors
wasted in cardboard-cutout roles.  I'm sure the director and writers
were very proud of each Hallmark moment they came up with, so they
stretch each dramatic moment out like silly putty until it loses all
its charm.  Glances don't communicate any deeper emotions just because
you draw them out for five hours on end.  The film spends an hour on
this kind of stuff, building to its climax.  A lot of it is a cliched
glorification of family relationships, marriage, friendship, unite we
stand divided we fall kind of crap.  There are some spectacular
special effects sequences in this film, and I give it points for
trying to stay true to the science I know (trying is the key word
here).  The sequence with the Martian demonstrating their history is
oddly beautiful and touching, but as mentioned by then we're so sick
of the goddamn thing we want the movie to be over.  Great design, good
intentions, but no cigar.  If you're not a die hard sci-fi, FX or
Jerry O'Connell fan (his character is the only one who has some
semblance of character), don't waste your eight bucks on this.

And what the hell, Tim Robbins died halfway through the movie, in a
STUPID way too.  That's just unforgiveable.

Rating: C- (First viewing, 3/11/00)