Subject: Review: Mission to Mars (2000)

From: [email-masked] (John Carroll)
Date: 17 Mar 2000 03:32:07 GMT

A review by John Carroll for MISSION TO MARS (2000).

MISSION TO MARS, starring Gary Sinise, Don Cheadle, Connie Nielsen, Jerry
O'Connell, Kim Delaney, Tim Robbins, Elise Neal and Jill Teed.  Directed by
Brian De Palma.  2000.

Reviewed by John Carroll.

   Back in 1968, 2001: A Space Odyssey challenged the thought process of all
film-goers.  Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece was hard to understand, until the
end.  It all made sense.  While sitting through Mission to Mars, those who have
seen 2001 beforehand may be expecting the same type of ending.  While the film
does heat up in interest near the end, Mission to Mars still disappoints.

   Brian De Palma really screwed this one up.  Really.  Mission to Mars could
have been many things.  First and foremost, a wonderful popcorn flick with
top-notch graphics and tense moments that could bring the chills of Apollo 13. 
On the other hand, it could have been a great character drama focusing on the
groundbreaking experience of a mission to Mars, and the tremendous pressure of
such a mission.  Or finally, it could have been a mental challenge the likes of
2001.  Instead, De Palma tries to throw in a touch of each, and what he comes
up with is an average film, but considering all of the high possibilities, an
ultimately disappointing one.

   Mission to Mars seems to have three different plots, each corresponding to
the genres stated above.  Separate, the plots would work great.  Put together,
they are absurd.  The overview of Mission to Mars is as follows: Luc Goddard
(Don Cheadle) is leading the first mission to Mars, and the first mission to
land on Mars.  They land, but while inspecting a mountain of rock, a force
generates and strikes from the top.  The entire first crew, excluding Goddard,
is killed.  Did I just ruin a part of the film?  No.  De Palma accomplishes
this in the first ten minutes.  In fact, I already had a question: Wouldn't a
mission to Mars be the talk of not only the United States, but the WHOLE
WORLD?!?  De Palma does not show a launch, the furor of the world, or any
preparations.  All we see is a birthday song to Jim McConnell (Gary Sinise),
the original captain who was scrapped after the death of his wife, and then
'voila' they are on Mars.
  
   The plot(s) are absurd, but the casting was so perfect that you just want to
believe.  In fact, the cast may be the only aspect of Mission to Mars that
keeps you from leaving during the first hour.  Gary Sinise and Don Cheadle, two
of the most underrated actors in Hollywood, try their best with what they are
given, but the age old lesson is that you cannot do much if you are not given
anything.  De Palma just seems to try and pay homage to sci-fi films of the
days of yore, but insteads he just insults the whole genre by ruining a film of
such great potential.
  
   To continue this pointless plot, the 'Face of Mars' develops after the
carnage that ruined the first mission.  The rushing of this segment was
horrible, but gave me hope that De Palma was rushing to get to some great
things in the future of the film.  Therefore, a rescue mission is planned.  For
some odd reason, the whole crew is absolutely positive that Luc is alive, and
have no question that he will be once they get there -- over a year later. 
Doubts arise on the rescue mission, but they forge ahead.  I will not spoil
what happens next, but let's just say that De Palma makes a TON of assumptions
for the future of the space program.  The film still drags.  Finally, they get
to Mars.

   When the second crew reaches Mars, De Palma hints at what Mission to Mars
could have been.  Was it an accident?  The way the rest of this film plays, it
probably was.  The film finally hints at other life on Mars, other forms of
habitation.  It may seem absurd, but all sci-fi movies cannot be factually
correct.  This ending segment of the film probes the possibility of life on
other planets, and how similar that life may be.  De Palma takes a different
look than 2001, but once again ruins it.  Kubrick put 2001 all out on the table
and let the audience decide.  De Palma attempts to challenge the viewer and
then in either a stupid decision by him -- or a forced one from studio execs --
has his actors explain everything right after bringing it up.
  
   At this point, Mission to Mars is all wrapped up in a nice package, although
the package itself is horrible.  Thoughts are brought up, then quickly
explained, alienating the audience completely.  If you want to see this movie,
your pay-off comes at the end.  Goddard, McConnell and Terri Fisher (Connie
Nielsen) enter the 'Face of Mars.'  This segment is absolutely beautiful.  The
effects prior to this is Mission to Mars were good, but limited.  In all
actuality, Mars is like a desert.  While it may take a great amount of effects
and work in front of a green screen, the pay-off is not as good, as say palace
in The Phantom Menace.  However, the 'Face of Mars' and its simplistic holdings
are beautiful.  This phase of the film is wonderful, challenging the life
process and if we are truly alone in the universe.  The pay-off?  Horrible. 
Once again, De Palma goes to an underdeveloped part of the film (in this case,
McConell's deceased wife) and goes for the sentimental touch.  It may have
payed off, but De Palma never went in-depth to the relationship between the
two, or the psychological trauma at her death.  Instead, he feels he is
justified in getting sentiment just because she is dead.  It may work on some
people, but the majority of audiences will feel cheated at such a terrible
ending -- especially since it follows the one extremely enjoyable experience of
Mission to Mars which hinted at what Mission to Mars could have been.

   Mission to Mars tries to be an epic, but obviously comes up short from
everything previous.  However, my one true peeve from this was the film score. 
Fortunately, De Palma did not try to hire big bands to supply the music. 
However, after hearing the corny music (unfortunately for me, there is no other
better way to put it) I would have rather heard the characters spout pure
gibberish just to talk over the innane music.
  
   When all is said and done, Brian De Palma comes to fault for the debacle
known as Mission to Mars.  Instead of focusing on one aspect of the sci-fi
genre (effects, character drama or challenging thoughts) he tries to do all
three.  Stabley Kubrick was able to pull this off with 2001, but not even De
Palma can be stupid enough to see himself as Stanley Kubrick.  Mission to
Mars's cast hints at what this film could have been, but they cannot rewrite
the script.  The Mission to Mars is mediocre, at best, but 'The Face of Mars'
salvages what is left.  Here's crossing my fingers for Red Planet.

Final Verdict: C

The Movie Page- http://moviepage.hypermart.net/
Reviews, Previews, News and So Much More!