Subject: REVIEW: PHENOMENON (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rhodes)
Date: 7 Aug 1996 14:58:41 GMT

PHENOMENON
                       A film review by Steve Rhodes
                        Copyright 1996 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****):  **

     After seeing a bright flash of light in the heavens, George Malley
(John Travolta) turns from an average auto mechanic to an innovative
horticulturist.  Although there are shades of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE
THIRD KIND, PHENOMENON is mainly FORREST GUMP-lite.

     Other than a ridiculous FBI subplot, the film spends most of its
time with a hero whose chief passion is growing extra large tomatoes
and wooing the new woman in town, Lace Pennamin (Kyra Sedgwick).  As
you can tell, I was extremely disappointed by this show which managed
to bore me silly no matter how well intentioned the plot and how
earnest the acting.

     On George's 37th birthday, he sees the light in the sky and after
that his life is changed forever.  He becomes fluent in Portuguese in
20 minutes just by reading a book.  He turns into an instant chess
expert.  He can predict earthquakes.  He can even do telekinesis and
break mirrors as well.  He does everything but leap over tall buildings
with a single bound.

     What does he do with this gift?  Mainly he applies it to ways to
grow bigger vegetables.  Now, in the real world, this would certainly
be a worthy endeavor as schools from Texas A & M to The University of
California at Davis would attest.  As stimulating movie making, it left
my entire family bored, fidgeting in our seats, and checking our
watches.

     The script by Gerald Di Pego has lines that includes George's come
on to Lace of, "I'd like to get my hands on your carburetor," and
Lace's refusal to George of, "Your idle's too fast."  My main fault
with the dialog is not so much that it is trite as it is tedious.  The
direction by Jon Turteltaub (3 NINJAS and COOL RUNNINGS) has a glacial
pace.

     Although the normally excellent Forest Whitaker as George's friend
Nate Pope is not given much to do in the show, the only bad acting is
Sedgwick's.  Sedgwick has a highly limited acting range.  She is always
aloof and distant.  If she has ever given a decent performance, I have
not seen it, and I have had the poor fortune to have viewed her in many
a picture.

     Travolta clearly had great fun making this film.  He is bursting
with joy.  Although he does not demonstrate particularly strong acting,
his enthusiasm for the role radiates good vibes.  If the show were not
so dull, his portrayal would have made the film into a classic feel
good movie.

     The gem of the show and the best piece of acting is done by Robert
Duvall as the local town doc.  When he gets angry in a bar, it is the
only scene in the show that had genuine emotion.  The rest of the
actors operate only on an ethereal plane.  The movie is never involving
and is content to be nothing more than a paean to the sweetness of a
man blessed with a magical gift.  I will give it this.  Phedon
Papamichael's warm and glowing cinematography is lovely.

     PHENOMENON runs quite long at 2:03.  Tighter editing by Bruce
Green could have improved the show dramatically.  The show is rated PG,
but I think PG-13 would have been much more appropriate.  There are a
plethora of cuss words, and none are necessary.  Although the F word is
not used, most of the others are.  Do we really have to have Jesus
Christ used as a frequent expletive in a PG show?  There is no sex,
nudity, or violence.  I would caution parents not to take kids under
say 10.  We took Jeffrey (age 7) since it was rated PG.  He was bored
stiff as little happened for long periods of time, and he rated it
"so-so."  I liked some of the acting, but can not recommend it either.
I give it **.

______________________________________________________________________
**** = One of the top few films of this or any year.  A must see film.
***  = Excellent show.  Look for it.
**   = Average movie.  Kind of enjoyable.
*    = Poor show.  Don't waste your money.
0    = One of the worst films of this or any year.  Totally unbearable.

REVIEW WRITTEN ON: August 6, 1996

Opinions expressed are mine and not meant to reflect my employer's.