Subject: Review: Reign of Fire (2002)

From: Steve Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:40:43 -0000

REIGN OF FIRE

A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2002 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****):  ***

REIGN OF FIRE rocks!  Think of it as FIREWORLD with Christian Bale replacing
Kevin Costner and Matthew McConaughey taking on Dennis Hopper's part.

As the American leader of a ragtag army contingent, Denton Van Zan (Matthew
McConaughey) has come to England in the year 2020 on a mission to save the
world, or at least what's left of it.  Van Zan's a cocky guy who chomps on his
burnt out stogie when he isn't spouting inspirational lines like, "I lead; you
follow."

You may wonder, "What does the world need saving from?"  Dragons.  X-FILES's
director, Rob Bowman, performs a miracle, with the help of some awesome special
effects, and makes a ridiculous plot reasonably plausible and always
fascinating.  Just don't think too hard as there are logical problems around
every bend, like how do Van Zan and his troops get their vast fuel requirements
in a world in ruins?

The story begins in the present day when a long dormant dragon is let loose
during an excavation in London.  In the years that follow, the beasts spread and
multiply until they've laid waste to the earth and most of the humans on it. 
But, as the narrator intones, "Only one species is getting out of this alive,"
and a few humans are naive enough to bet on the home team.  One of the most
effective moments in the movie occurs when we see old magazines that covered the
planet's Armageddon.  "Is this the end?" one cover asks poignantly.  Don't be
surprised if your mind drifts to 9-11 as you look at the covers.

The few people left huddle together in small groups with the sole goal of hiding
from the beasts.  One such group in England is led by Quinn Abercromby
(Christian Bale).   A brave but cautious leader, he doesn't trust Van Zan.  As
he puts it, "Only thing worse than a dragon is an American."

Van Zan and Alex (Izabella Scorupco), his helicopter pilot, are part of a small
group that wants to take the fight to the dragons.  When you see how powerful,
fast, and deadly these fire-breathing monsters are, you'll understand why Van
Zan's idea appears to be terminally stupid.  (Don't even think about bringing
kids who are frightened easily to REIGN OF FIRE, which pushes the intensity
limits of its PG-13 rating.  These dragons could give a child -- or an adult --
some major nightmares.)

The fighting sequences are excellent but never allowed to go on too long.  The
casting is a bit strange but works well.  If you were a casting director, I'm
sure your first choice for Van Zan would be Vin Diesel (THE FAST AND THE
FURIOUS), but McConaughey brings a level of intelligence that adds a special
something to a pretty bizarre character.

You will probably be asking yourself, "How does Van Zan plan on accomplishing
what entire armies using nuclear weapons were unable to do?"  Good question. 
The movie's explanation for his scheme has a certain plausibility to it so long
as you don't think too hard.  Leave your analytical self at the office, grab a
bag of popcorn, and be prepared to just have some fun.  REIGN OF FIRE provides
good old-fashion, mindless entertainment.

REIGN OF FIRE runs a fast 1:41.  It is rated PG-13 for "intense action violence"
and would be acceptable for kids around 11 and up.

My son Jeffrey, age 13, gave it ***.  He liked the special effects, the acting
and the plot.  Usually one to be critical of logical problems, he was able to
ignore them this time and just go with the story.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, July 12, 2002.  In the
Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC and the Century theaters.   

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email: [email-masked]

***********************************************************************

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?  

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 32306
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 737491
X-RT-TitleID: 1114678
X-RT-SourceID: 703
X-RT-AuthorID: 1271
X-RT-RatingText: 3/4