Subject: Review: Solaris (2002)

From: Bob Bloom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:01:00 -0000

SOLARIS (Fox Home Entertainment): This American remake of the classic 
Soviet science fiction epic, based on the novel by Stanislaw Lem, drew 
mixed reaction when released in 2002. 

 People either loved it or failed to grasp or appreciate it. 

 Available now on DVD, you get a second chance to experience this 
cerebral undertaking, written and directed by Oscar-winner Steven 
Soderbergh, and starring George Clooney. 

 The close confines of the space station and the intimacy of the story 
are amplified when watching from the more confined space of a home than 
a movie theater. 

 The extras are few, an HBO "Making of ..." special plus a featurette 
entitled, "Solaris: Behind the Planet," which features Soderbergh and 
Clooney. 

 Also in the package is the original screenplay, which was altered 
during production. 

 One of the more interesting extras is the commentary track by 
Soderbergh and producer James Cameron. It is a most informative and 
interesting to listen to two intellectual filmmakers discuss how — and 
why — this version of Solaris is so short and sparse. 

 In fact, if you've seen the movie, watch it first with the commentary 
track. If not, and you have the time, first watch Solaris, then go back 
and rerun it but with the track. It will increase your appreciation for 
this overlooked gem. 

  Bob Bloom is the film critic at the Journal and Courier in Lafayette, 
IN. He can be reached by e-mail at [email-masked] or at 
[email-masked]. Other reviews by Bloom can be found at 
www.jconline.com by clicking on movies. 
 Bloom's reviews also appear on the Web at the Rottentomatoes Web site, 
www.rottentomatoes.com and at the Internet Movie Database: 
http://www.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Bob+Bloom

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 35469
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 817061
X-RT-TitleID: 1118327
X-RT-SourceID: 872
X-RT-AuthorID: 1363