Subject: Review: Soldier (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Edward Johnson-ott)
Date: 23 Oct 1998 04:09:17 GMT

Soldier (1998)
Kurt Russell, Jason Scott Lee, Connie Nielsen, Michael Chiklis, Gary 
Busey, Sean Pertwee, Jason Isaacs. Written by David Webb Peoples. 
Directed by Paul Anderson. 
Rated R, 1.5 stars (out of five stars)

Review by Ed Johnson-Ott, NUVO Newsweekly
www.nuvo-online.com
Archive reviews at http://us.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Edward+Johnson-ott
To receive reviews by e-mail at no charge, send subscription requests to 
[email-masked]

Author's Note: By my count, Kurt Russell says only 104 words during the 
futuristic fight movie, "Soldier." I'll attempt to do the same in the 
following review.

Russell plays super-soldier trained from birth. Name, blood type and rank 
tattooed on face. Russell looks great, extremely buff. His humanity 
buried by training. New genetically-engineered soldiers, including Jason 
Scott Lee, makes him obsolete. Russell discarded on waste planet. What, 
no recycling? Meets hippie colonists. Stays stoic. Stares at pretty woman,
 saves young boy, gets banished because he scares the hippies. Sits alone,
 tears flow silently in slo-mo. Touching. New soldiers arrive. Russell 
fights them. Many battle scenes, some pretty cool. Movie like long World 
Wrestling Federation match with explosions and cheesy special effects. 
Genetically-engineered soldiers die way too easy. For testosterone freaks 
only.

Postscript: 104 words. Mission accomplished, sir.

© 1998 Ed Johnson-Ott