

STAR TREK: INSURRECTION 1998
                      A film review by Timothy Voon
                      Copyright 1998 Timothy Voon
                3 out of 4 for the crew of the Enterprise

Starring: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton,
Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, F. Murray Abraham.
Screenplay: Michael Piller.
Director: Jonathan Frakes.

There are those of you who will whinge about the fact that INSURRECTION,
is just as ordinary as another episode of the successful STTNG
franchise. There will be unfair comparisons made to the previous, likely
to be more successful, well made, FIRST CONTACT. All of the above may be
true, but this is still an enjoyable movie to watch. Then there are
those who will complain about the lack of action or special effects. My
reply would be, if you want to see special effects visit George Lucas,
if you want something more thoughtful and evenly paced, watch STTNG. It
is true that the tension is not as great as in FIRST CONTACT, but hey,
you can't have a Borg in every movie, and the lack of cliff hanger
action is well compensated by light humour and character developments.
The dependable cast is a joy to watch although visibly older -
especially Counsellor Troi, but appearances are secondary - it's the
characters we've come to watch. This movie is a team effort, with an
almost even focus on each member of the original cast, unlike FIRST
CONTACT, which belonged to Picard. Despite much criticism from others,
this is still a fine movie in the vein of what we have come to love and
enjoy about the hearty crew of the USS ENTERPRISE.

                              Timothy Voon
                    e-mail: [email-masked]
        Movie Archives http://us.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Tim+Voon
                           Movies In Melbourne
          http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~pfowler/week/movies.html