

“Star Trek: Insurrection” - A Familiar Frontier
by Homer Yen
(c) 1998

Something odd has happened to Commander Data (Brent Spiner). He was
apart of an observation team that was sent to secretly observe a
peaceful colony known as the Baku. But he exhibits insubordinate
behavior by making his presence known to the villagers (a severe
violation of a non-interference clause known to watchers of the series
as the Prime Directive) and also attacks his fellow officers. What has
caused Data to act this way?  Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the
rest of the Enterprise crew, who have always entrusted their lives to
Data, comes to his aid and subsequently launch an investigation to
determine the motivation behind his actions. As a result, they uncover
a secret plot that could forever affect the lives of the Baku. And
although the Enterprise crew would be quick to defend the peaceful
colonists against mighty oppressors, their actions may jeopardize a
newfound alliance as well as their own future. It seems that an
incredible phenomenon makes this planet something of a Fountain of
Youth. Secrets learned from this planet may help humanity survive the
ongoing challenges from hostile alien factions of the Star Trek
universe. The wizened Picard, however, can not justify the forced
removal of a people. He must find a way to protect them. 

Unfortunately, Picard seemed like the only one that exhibited any kind
of convictions. His Shakespearean background allowed him to inject a
believable pathos into his role. The rest of the crew and even the
tone of the movie, however, seemed to lack any kind of fervor,
excitement or wit, which made the previous Star Trek movie (First
Contact) so enjoyable. Much can be blamed on the subject material,
which centers more on a moral battle rather than a life-or-death
struggle. The goal of Picard’s crusade didn’t seem all that
compelling, which made the whole movie experience somewhat
uninteresting.  One thing that I've always admired about many of the
Star Trek storylines is that it frequently presents a plot that has
some educational value - whether the episode is intended to impart a
lesson or whether it reflects on a significant chapter of humanity’s
history. The drawback, however, is that the presentation can be
somewhat sobering, and in a 2-hour, feature-length film, the message
can wear thin rather quickly. So, as a fan of Star Trek, I enjoyed
seeing the crew reassemble for another mission. But I was disappointed
to a degree because this latest installment offered an all-to-familiar
premise that amounted to a slightly better-than-average episode.  

Grade: C+ if you’re a Trek fan 
C if you’re not.

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com