

“Star Trek: Insurrection” - A Familiar Frontier
by Homer Yen
(c) 1998

Something odd has happened to Commander Data (Brent Spiner).  He was a
part of an observation team that was sent to secretly observe a
peaceful colony known as the Baku.   But he exhibits insubordinate
behavior by making his presence known to the villagers (a severe
violation of a non-interference clause known to watchers of the series
as the Prime Directive) and also attacks his fellow officers.  What
has caused Data to act this way?

Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the rest of the Enterprise crew,
who have always entrusted their lives to Data, comes to his aid and
subsequently launch an investigation to determine the motivation
behind his actions.  As a result, they uncover a secret plot that
could forever affect the lives of the Baku.  And although the
Enterprise crew would be quick to defend the peaceful colonists
against mighty oppressors, their actions may jeopardize a new-found
alliance as well as their own future.  It seems that an incredible
phenomenon makes this planet something of a Fountain of Youth. 
Secrets learned from this planet may help humanity survive the ongoing
challenges from hostile alien factions of the Star Trek universe.  The
wizened Picard, however, can not justify the forced removal of a
people.  He must find a way to protect them.  

Unfortunately, Picard seemed like the only one that exhibited any kind
of convictions.  His Shakespearean background allowed him to inject a
believable pathos into his role.  The rest of the crew and even the
tone of the movie, however, seemed to lack any kind of fervor,
excitement or wit, which made the previous Star Trek movie (First
Contact) so enjoyable.  Much can be blamed on the subject material,
which centers more on a moral battle rather than a life-or-death
struggle.  The goal of Picard’s crusade didn’t seem all that
compelling, which made the whole movie experience somewhat
uninteresting.

One thing that I've always admired about many of the Star Trek
storylines is that it frequently presents a plot that has some
educational value - whether the episode is intended to impart a lesson
or whether it reflects on a significant chapter of humanity’s history.
 The drawback, however, is that the presentation can be somewhat
sobering, and in a 2-hour, feature-length film, the message can wear
thin rather quickly.  So, as a fan of Star Trek, I enjoyed seeing the
crew reassemble for another mission.  But I was disappointed to a
degree because this latest installment offered an all-to-familiar
premise that amounted to a slightly better-than average episode.

Grade:  C+ if you’re a Trek fan
		C if you’re not.

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com