Subject: Review: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Bob Bloom)
Date: 4 Feb 1999 18:14:34 GMT

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) 3 stars out of 4. Starring Patrick Stewart,
Donna Murphy, F. Murray Abraham, Brent Spiner. Directed by Jonathan Frakes

 Star Trek: Insurrection is an enjoyable movie, employing the basics that
should endear it to most Trekkers. It lacks the weight of some of its
predecessors, especially Star Trek: First Contact, but that's not
necessarily a negative.

 Once in a while the Star Trek franchise offers a movie with a lighter
tone, such as in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Insurrection, while in a
more serious vein, falls within that category in the Star Trek canon.

 This time, the crew of the Enterprise is out to defy a renegade Starfleet
admiral who is working with an alien race to take over a planet that has
all the properties of a fountain of youth.

 Basically, these bad aliens, the Son'a, who supposedly are Federation
members, are violating the Prime Directive, the code to which this
interstellar organization strictly adheres. It's kind of a non-interference
clause.

 Well, Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and his crew act to set things right, which,
of course, they do.

 The heart of this Star Trek venture is, as always, the interplay between
the principals. And Insurrection is no exception. Picard (Patrick Stewart)
remains the voice of authority and reason. Yet he is willing to act when
necessary.

 This film also shows Picard, the romantic, as he becomes infatuated with
Anij (Broadway star Donna Murphy), the leader of the Ba'ku.

 One of the complaints Trekkers had about Picard and the Next Generation
series was that this captain was too cerebral. He would rather talk his way
out of a situation, unlike classic Trek's Capt. Kirk, who was willing to
fire a phaser at the least provocation.

 But, as in First Contact, Picard demonstrates his military skills, though
not in the same overwrought, vengeful manner he brought to the previous
outing.

 Brent Spiner's Data provides, in a sense, the film's comic relief. This
android's childlike fascination with humanity is ably demonstrated when
Data befriends a young boy who teaches him about having fun.

 Both Spiner and Stewart also get the chance to demonstrate their vocal
talents with a bit of Gilbert & Sullivan. You know the producers - and cast
- are having fun when HMS Pinafore can be thrown into the mix without the
audience groaning.

  Also rekindled is the romance between Cmdr. William Riker (Jonathan
Frakes) and ship's counselor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis).

 Again, this all totals a more relaxed film, especially compared to the
previous outing against the evil dronelike Borg.

 Insurrection also features Oscar-winner F. Murray Abraham, buried under
much makeup, as the main villain, out to take over the Eden-like planet.

 The script is predictable, with one interesting surprise in the last act.
The special effects, most of which are computer generated, are very well
done, and Jerry Goldsmith contributes another fine score.

 Frakes, in his second stint behind the camera, shows his fine direction of
First Contact was no fluke. He keeps the action moving and ably mixes the
humor and adventure, creating a smooth-flowing audience pleaser.

 Insurrection is not a great movie, lacking the substance and depth of
First Contact as well as Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

 But it is a pleasurable excursion that should satisfy franchise fans, as
well as hold the interest of sci-fi fans in general.

 Bob Bloom is the film critic at the Journal and Courier in Lafayette, Ind.
He can be reached by e-mail at [email-masked] or
[email-masked]