

STAR TREK: INSURRECTION

** 1/2 (out of 4) - an enjoyable movie

Release Date: December 11, 1998
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton,
Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, F. Murray Abraham, Anthony
Zerbe
Directed by: Jonathan Frakes
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
MPAA Rating: PG (sci-fi action violence, mild language, sensuality) 
URL: http://www.execpc.com/~kinnopio/reviews/1998/st-insur.htm

STAR TREK is inarguably the most successful entertainment franchise of
all time. The latest motion picture in the formidable line follows in a
tradition that is now thirty-three years old, and it is the ninth
feature in a string of sequels that extends back to 1979. It might be
thought that STAR TREK: INSURRECTION has a lot to live up to. 

That's not the case. Although there are certain conventions and customs
to pay homage to, it has long been a hallmark of the STAR TREK series
that each movie is nine-tenths self-contained. Certain features have
been major turning points for the series -- for example, in STAR TREK:
GENERATIONS, audiences saw the destruction of the Enterprise-D -- but
INSURRECTION is more modest in its intentions. This is, simply put,
bread-and-butter STAR TREK -- a double-length television episode with
beefed-up special effects and a bit more polished script -- all for the
enjoyment of the fans. 

INSURRECTION begins in the Sierra-Nevadas -- er -- a peaceful planet
inhabited by an idyllic race of metahumans. These people live a life
delightfully free of technology and have a youthful vigor about them;
but like all good things, it's not destined to last. As it turns out,
their planet holds certain "magical" properties which have attracted the
interest of the highest levels of Starfleet and its alien allies. When
Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart) and the crew of the Enterprise-E learns
of this, however, it's obvious that the Starfleet's intentions are a
clear violation of the Prime Directive (the Directive is Starfleet's
rule prohibiting interference with the natural course of a
civilization's progression). Hence, Picard and his top officers resign
from their commands and lead a mission of insurrection on behalf of the
planet's people. 

Even for non-fans, the movie is still some very impressive cinema. On
the technical side, INSURRECTION is the most awesome TREK feature to
date, giving the audience a good load of special effects. Of course,
TREK special effects have never been on-the-cheap, but the significantly
larger budget for a motion picture allows the computer folks to get a
bit more creative. On the aesthetic side, however, a lot of that
grandeur is lost. The script is not pervasive or moving -- Picard only
gets one great speech -- and instead fills its time with sniveling bad
guys or straight-faced humor for the Enterprise crew (most of which is
genuine). 

The acting corps is back in fine form, although these actors have been
playing the same characters for over ten years now. Stewart is
considered by many to be the most accomplished actor to have ever donned
a Starfleet uniform, and he makes a fair impression here. Jonathan
Frakes (directing himself again in his second TREK feature), as
Commander Riker, and Brent Spiner, as Lt. Cmdr. Data, are wonderful as
Picard's top two officers. Director Frakes even makes a point of giving
more screen time to the rest of the ensemble cast, whereas the previous
two features -- FIRST CONTACT and GENERATIONS had focused almost
exclusively on one character. 

Overall, INSURRECTION is not the best STAR TREK movie to date. It lacks
much of the inspiration that the previous two features had, opting
instead to take a lighthearted tone. Those not expecting greatness will
find this to be a real crowd-pleaser; but there will be disappointed
fans out there. Probably best seen on a Saturday afternoon with nothing
else to do.

-- 
Craig Roush
[email-masked]
--
Kinnopio's Movie Reviews
http://www.execpc.com/~kinnopio