Subject: REVIEW: STARGATE

From: [email-masked] (Ben Hoffman)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 13:56:22 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

				  STARGATE
		       A film review by Ben Hoffman
			Copyright 1994 Ben Hoffman

     The idea that ancient civilizations were visited by Beings from
another planet has long been a source of mystery and wonderment for us
on Earth.  Could they have made the pyramids?  Could they be
responsible for the tremendously heavy statues on Easter Island?
Director Roland Emmerich and co-writer Dean Devlin, have made an
entertaining film that approaches the subject of inter-planetary
visitors not from the standpoint of "could they have " but rather "what
if they really did come here?"

     "StarGate" refers to the entrance-way from one world or galaxy
into another.  When an ancient artifact is discovered near the Great
Pyramids of Giza in Egypt that could lead to our learning the origin of
our civilization, both the military and civilian authorities show great
interest.

     Representing the military is Colonel Jack O'Neil (Kurt Russell),
the hard-nosed investigator of the artifact.  Representing a different
viewpoint (openness rather than secrecy) is Daniel Jackson (James
Spader), a brilliant Egyptologist.   Along with a small group of men
they embark on the journey to the "other side" of the Universe.  It
seems that going through the StarGate scrambles the molecules of their
being and are re-assembled when they reach their destination.

     What they find when they arrive and what they learn of the people
and their origin is a fascinating story. Their fight for life against
the ruler, Ra (Jaye Davidson), and even a love interest in the "other"
world, the beautiful Sha'uri (Mili Avital) makes for exciting science
fiction; if that is a genre that turns you on, go for it.

2.5 bytes
4 Bytes = Absolutely must see.
3 Bytes = Too good to be missed.
2 Bytes = So so.
1 Byte  = Save your money.

Ben Hoffman