Subject: REVIEW: STARGATE

From: [email-masked] (berardinelli,james)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 21:47:58 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

				     STARGATE
		       A film review by James Berardinelli
			Copyright 1994 James Berardinelli
Rating (0 to 10):  5.7 
 
Date Released:  10/28/94 
Running Length:  2:02 
Rated:  PG-13 (Violence, language) 

Starring:  Kurt Russell, James Spader, Jaye Davidson, Viveca Lindfors,
           Alexis Cruz, Mili Avatal 
Director: Roland Emmerich 
Producers:  Joel B. Michaels, Oliver Eberle, and Dean Devlin 
Screenplay: Deal Devlin and Roland Emmerich 
Cinematography: Karl Walter Lindenlaub 
Music: David Arnold 
Released by MGM 

     There's a fine line between giving homage to something and
stealing from it--and the division is usually defined by how creative
and enjoyable the final product is.  Using that distinction, STARGATE
is on uncertain ground.  This new big-budget science fiction/fantasy
offering can claim barely an original moment, taking from such diverse
sources as STAR WARS, STAR TREK, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, DUNE, RAIDERS OF THE
LOST ARK, DOCTOR WHO, and even DANCES WITH WOLVES and KING KONG.

     The story combines traditional popular science fiction themes with
a heavy dose of Egyptological mumbo-jumbo.  Occasional,
mostly-halfhearted attempts at character development are ignored
whenever they don't impact directly on the plot.  As has frequently
become the case with movies of this genre, the visual effects and
breathtaking cinematography far outstrip everything else offered by
STARGATE.

     James Spader plays nerdish Egyptologist Daniel Jackson, whose
linguistic expertise is called upon for decoding inscriptions on tiles
discovered in an Egyptian archeological site.  These turn out to be the
key that turns the lock in something called the "stargate", an
intergalactic portal (that looks like a giant donut) to some Earth-like
world on the "far side of the known universe."

     Kurt Russell is Colonel Jack O'Neil, the borderline-suicidal
military commander of a mission to the other side of the stargate.
Accompanied by his crack troops and Jackson, O'Neil enters the gate and
emerges in what looks suspiciously like Egypt.  It's not, however, as
the three moons in the sky soon prove.  This is the land of the
Egyptian Sun God Ra (Jaye Davidson) and his people.

     Ra, it seems, created human society on Earth and on this world as
well as the stargates, and was displeased when the ancient Egyptians
closed their side of the space/time corridor, confining him to one
planet.  Now that the way is again open, Ra has decided to prepare a
little surprise for those waiting at the far end.

     What begins as an enjoyable romp degenerates into a tired retread
of the age-old good-versus evil battle pitting a group of overachieving
mortals against a ruthless god-like being.  It's Luke against the
Emperor from RETURN OF THE JEDI without the malevolent, charismatic
presence of Darth Vader.  Ultimately, the final battle, aside from
being inexplicably rushed, is dull and lacking in genuine suspense.

     The first half of the film, which includes the setup, Jackson's
intense struggle to break the stargate's code, the expedition to Ra's
world, and humankind's first contact with an alien culture, is handled
reasonably well.  Things only start to fall apart with Ra's
appearance.  Then it's all shoot-outs and fight scenes, with action
taking precedence over intelligence.

     The cast members do their best with sketchy roles.  Kurt Russell
makes an effective no-nonsense military man who doesn't overplay his
grief at a recent personal tragedy.  Not for the first time, James
Spader is believable as a dweeb forced into a heroic act or two.  And
Jaye Davidson, despite never speaking a word of English, has a
commanding presence as the androgynous Ra.

     STARGATE is peppered with numerous minor faults, some of
which--although not all--are easily forgiven.  It's the bigger
plot problems and lackluster climax which are more difficult to
excuse.  Director Roland Emmerich, who previously made UNIVERSAL
SOLDIER, appears infatuated with his film's look without caring if
anything moderately substantial lies beneath the glitz.  STARGATE is
all flashes and bangs--a cinematic fireworks show without the grand
finale.

- James Berardinelli ([email-masked])