Subject: Retrospective: Stargate (1995)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 7 Jul 1997 04:33:13 GMT

Stargate
Chad'z rating: ** (out of 4 = fair)
1995, PG-13, 119 minutes [1 hour, 59 minutes]
[science fiction]
starring: James Spader (Dr. Daniel Jackson), Kurt Russell (Colonel O'Neil),
Jaye Davidson (Ra), produced by Joel B. Michaels, Oliver Eberle, Dean Devlin,
written by Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich, directed by Roland Emmerich.

	It's hard to find a good sci-fi movie these days. Even with all the
technology capable for special effects, you hardly ever see wholly original
concepts. "Stargate" is somewhat original in its most basic form, but the
actual script itself is formulated, cliche, and boring. It's just another
case of unused potential.

	The story revolves around Dr. Daniel Jackson (Spader), a geeky archaeologist
whose expertise is needed by the military because it will help lead them to
inter-dimensional travel (ooookay!). The problem is nothing is explained
clearly, especially why the military chose Jackson, and why they think they
can (or would want to) travel to another dimension. 

	Kurt Russell co-stars as Colonel O'Neil who, along with Jackson, leads a
typical military bratpack through an ancient Egyptian artifact known as the
"Stargate." But once they make it through they realize they can't get back!
The group splits up, some go exploring and some stay behind. Soon they meet a
group of primates who and are being oppressed by some higher power in a
pyramid. Does this sound wacky enough for you? Stuff like this works fine in
a Marvel comic, but not in a movie.

	The film does have an interesting theory about Egyptian mythology. It goes
so far to justify it by making it "real" in this other dimension. Apparently
Ra (Davidson), the sun god, came to Earth but was outcasted and now rules
this dimension. O'Neil says something to the effect that Ra still poses a
threat to Earth and that is why they are there - to kill him.

	Most of the film is a bad rip-off of the "Indiana Jones" films and just
about every sci-fi movie and comic book ever. We get a lot of rhetoric that
seems to justify all the unnecessary violence and bizarre storyline and
mythology, but just considering the basic elements, it's too stupid to take
seriously. The attempts at humanism and characterization? Forget about it. 

	The entire third act seems a hell of a lot like "Return Of The Jedi," with
the little people revolting against the evil oppressive government, the crude
leader single-handedly defeating enemies twice his size, and of course the
"super suspenseful" countdown ending.

	Emmerich and Devlin probably grew up on sci-fi and adventure and wanted to
make those kinds of films. The problem is "Stargate" is just that - more of
the same. All they need to do is just not try so hard. 

Please visit Chad'z Movie Page - http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz
E-mail: [email-masked]
(C)1997 Chad Polenz