Subject: REVIEW: STARGATE

From: [email-masked] (Ram Samudrala)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 13:52:11 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

				  STARGATE
		       A film review by Ram Samudrala
			Copyright 1994 Ram Samudrala

     STARGATE is the name of this interplanetary wormhole, so to speak,
created by a despot, who the Egyptians apparently referred to as their
sun god, Ra.  Daniel Jackson (James Spader) is an archaeologist whose
speciality is in things Egyptian.  His expertise is used by the
military to uncover the secret behind an artifact uncovered in Giza.
Guess what the artifact turns out to be?

     True to form, our hero (the archaeologist) manages to open the
gateway to another part of the galaxy and manages himself into an
exploration team headed by a colonel with a death wish (played by Kurt
Russell).  On arriving at the other end, they discover a civilisation
(living as slaves under Ra) who do not communicate using the written
word.  The reasons for this become self-evident as Ra realises his
monarchy is threatened and employs various measures to stop Russell and
his team.

     It's a great movie to watch on the big screen--the effects are
really cool and sometimes believable.  The plot itself is sometimes
naive, but there are a few good things one can get out of this movie,
one of them being the fact that subjectives will always subvert.

Ram Samudrala
[email-masked]