Subject: REVIEW: THE FRIGHTENERS (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Larry Mcgillicuddy)
Date: 23 Jul 1996 15:45:30 GMT

THE FRIGHTENERS
                       A film review by Larry McGillicuddy
                        Copyright 1996 Larry McGillicuddy

****(out of 4)
Directed by Peter Jackson
Starring Michael J. Fox, Trini Alvarado, Dee Wallace Stone, Jeffery
Combs, Peter Dobson, John Astin, Chi McBride, R. Lee Ermey

Review- Peter Jackson's The Frighteners has received some notice for
setting the record for most computer effects ever in a movie, and still
coming in at the extremely cheap $30 million price tag. But for those
who were dismayed by this year's blockbusters like Twister and
Independence Day, The Frighteners has much more to offer than special
effects. And for those worried wether or not Peter Jackson would
compromise to Hollywood you can rest easily. The Frighteners is as far
removed from Hollywood as a high-profile movie can get.

Michael J. Fox stars as Frank Bannister, a con artist who can speak to
ghosts. He uses this ability to set up a scam in a small town where his
ghost buddies scare the hell out of people, then he comes and pretends
to get rid of them. This is how he has made a living ever since his
wife died in a car crash 5 years ago.

Frank's latest customers are a young couple, played by Trini Alvarado
and Peter Dobson. When Dobson ends up dead, Alvarado starts to take an
interest in Fox. But Dobson's spirit is still around as he refuses to
beleive he's dead. This leads to a very awkward and amusing dinner date
between Fox and Alvarado, with Dobson tagging along as a ghost.

Things start getting complicated for Fox when he is accused for a
series of murders taking place in the town. Fox sees someone named The
Soul Collector crushing the heart of the victims, but noone else can
see that. So when Fox shows up to try and save each victim, naturally
people suspect he is the killer. Fox sees that Alvarado is next on The
Soul Collector's hit list, and the last half hour of the movie deals
with Fox's attempts to save her from this evil spirit.

There are many wonderful twists and turns in the screenplay written by
Peter Jackson and Frances Walsh.  The movie starts off as a black
comedy, and ends up a horror-action film. The mix between these genres
are perfect. No laughs are sacrificed in the name of horror, and vice
versa. One point of contention might be a lackluster score by Danny
Elfman. But that hardly seems like a flaw when you have such a diverse
cast all in top form. Michael J. Fox delivers one of his best
performances to date as a man who hides the sorrow of his wife's death,
and then is forced to confront this later on. Alvarado, looking like
Andie MacDowell, makes a great frightened, tough, and smart heroine.
And Jeffery Combs, as a paranoid FBI agent, is brilliantly bizaare.

The Frighteners never once feels like it is running long. The first
hour is as funny as any comedy this year, and the last half hour is as
thrilling as any of the big budget blockbusters. This movie is probably
what Casper would've looked like if David Lynch directed it. It's
easily the best film of the year, so far.