Subject: REVIEW: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Steve Kong)
Date: 29 May 1997 21:21:23 GMT

THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK
                       A film review by Steve Kong
                        Copyright 1997 Steve Kong

There are some movies that you go to see for the plot and character 
development.  Then there are the movies that you go to see for the fun factor 
and the special effects.  The Lost World is in the latter category.

After seeing the first movie, Jurassic Park, I did not expect too much walking 
into the theatre.  I was there to see dinosaurs.  In The Lost World we find 
out that there is a Site B from the first movie.  Hammond used Site B, located 
about 80 miles away from the original island, to breed and raise dinosaurs for 
the main Jurassic Park island.  We find out that after the first island was 
dismantled and all the dinosaurs killed, no one knew about the second island.  

The dinosaurs thrived there and continued to live without human interruption.  
That is until a rich family sails to the island.  A dinosaur attacks the 
daughter of the family and this sets off the story.  InGen has now been taken 
over by Hammond's nephew.  Hammond is still alive and wants to leave the 
island alone and let the dinosaurs live there.  Hammond's nephew has other 
ideas.  Hammond calls four people to go and document the dinosaurs on the 
island in their natural habitat before his nephew and InGen get there.  Ian 
Malcolm is forced into going to the island because Hammond has sent his 
girlfriend there.  Ian's daughter hitches a ride and shows up on the island 
too.  It isn't long until InGen shows up.  They, under the command of 
Hammond's nephew, are there to round up dinosaurs for the Jurassic Park in San 
Diego.  After this point, there story stops and the action begins.

The dinosaurs this time around have more screen time.  And they look better 
than ever.  The scenes in which the dinosaurs interact with humans are so 
amazing, that it would leave most people wondering how they did that.  One 
example of this would be a scene in the beginning where the InGen team is 
rounding up dinosaurs.  Humans are tying up dinosaurs.  If you are going to 
see this film for the dinosaurs, you will not be disappointed.

The actual look of the film is darker and grittier than the first.  The first 
was filled with bright colors and sunlight.  The costumes were as if they came 
out of a comic book.  This time around though, most of the action takes place 
at night.  The film itself looks grainier.  There is an overall more serious 
feel to the film.

The one that I have to mention is the sound.  Jurassic Park launched DTS, 
Digital Theatre Sound.  The Lost World also uses DTS, and the end result is 
wonderful.  Sounds literally circle the theatre.  If you have the chance be 
sure to see The Lost World in a DTS equipped theatre.

The bottom line for The Lost World is to go into the theatre not expecting too 
much in the plot, character, and story department.  Go to see The Lost World 
for the fun factor and special effects.  Unlike last summer's special effects 
driven Independence Day, Spielberg wastes no time in between action sequences 
and special effects sequences.  The movie is fast moving and does not stop 
once everyone reaches the island.  As for taking the kids to see The Lost 
World, this movie is very intense, and I would not recommend it for younger 
children.

--
steve kong
[email-masked]                                        
personal site http://stevekong.home.ml.org
my movie site http://hardboiled.home.ml.org