Subject: REVIEW: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Walter Frith)
Date: 29 May 1997 18:25:56 GMT

THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK
                       A film review by Walter Frith
                        Copyright 1997 Walter Frith

'LOST WORLD STILL MANAGES TO BE COMPELLING DESPITE LOST FRESHNESS IN SUBJECT
MATTER'

Comments on this review may also be sent to [email-masked]

Technology is the saving grace that ignites 'The Lost World:  Jurassic Park'.
 That and a commanding presence by leading man Jeff Goldblum who reprises his
role as a scientist trying to bring reason to a chaotic scenario known as
dinosaur reproduction.  His theories were correct four years ago and while
the people in charge in 1993's 'Jurassic Park' didn't listen to him, you
would think they've learned their lesson, right?  Wrong.  

Richard Attenborough also reprises his role in a cameo appearance as the
developer of the original theme park in which dinosaurs ran amuck who tries
to persuade Goldblum to return to a location close to the original film's
sight and it seems that the first film was the exhibition sight and now they
go to the island where the manufacturing is actually done.  This means an
increasing number of prehistoric creatures since the last time we saw them
and a lot more people are involved this time around as well.  Goldblum is
re-united with his female companion (Julianne Moore) who was also persuaded
to go along for the ride and their small team of observers is joined by a
crew aiming to capture the dino beasts and take them to a newly created theme
park built in San Diego, California.  

Steven Spielberg said he wouldn't make a sequel to the original film unless
it could be better and Spielberg is indeed a man of integrity as far as his
word is concerned and proof of this is in the fact that no sequel was ever
made to 'E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial' (1982) and Spielberg has done it with
the Jurassic story by increasing the amount of excitement in the form of
dazzling technology which he was correct in assuming would look better than
his original film.  'The Lost World' is also enhanced with nail biting
suspense and excitement just as compelling in many areas as the first film
and has a climax better than 'Jurassic Park'.  Overall it is not better than
the original film because the dinosaur concept was so original back in 1993
and kept our focus unparalleled to any other film in special effects history
but now the original magic is gone and while 'The Lost World' is not a
sensational film, only Spielberg could find ways to make it nearly as
enjoyable as his first effort in this series.

OUT OF 5> * * * *

1993's 'Jurassic Park' > * * * * *

Visit Mr. Frith's 'Movie Reviews' section of 'The Review' at
http://www.arrowweb.com/review