Subject: REVIEW: THE PUPPET MASTERS

From: [email-masked] (berardinelli,james)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 17:02:19 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.sf.movies.  -Moderator]

				THE PUPPET MASTERS
		       A film review by James Berardinelli
			Copyright 1994 James Berardinelli

Rating (0 to 10):  5.8 
 
Date Released:  10/21/94  
Running Length:  1:48 
Rated:  R (Violence, language, nudity, gross alien creatures) 

Starring:  Donald Sutherland, Eric Thal, Julie Warner, Keith David, 
	   Will Patton, Richard Belzer 
Director: Stuart Orme 
Producer:  Ralph Winter 
Screenplay:  Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and David S. Goyer based on 
	     the novel by Robert A. Heinlein 
Cinematography:  Clive Tickner 
Music: Colin Towns 
Released by Hollywood Pictures 

     This film must have given lead actor Donald Sutherland a sense of
deja vu.  After all, this isn't the first picture he's starred in about
otherworldly beings coming to this planet and taking over human
bodies.  Unfortunately, his second exploration of the scenario isn't
nearly as good as his first, 1978's creepy INVASION OF THE BODY
SNATCHERS.

     THE PUPPET MASTERS tells a story of alien invasion.  The
creatures, which bear a remarkable resemblance to the face-suckers from
the ALIEN movies, have come to Earth on a mission of conquest (at least
that's the loose impression that the picture gives--it's not too
concerned about motivation).  They attach themselves to a victim's
back, stick a probe in their neck, and take over their nervous system,
in effect turning them into a puppet.

     First contact comes in Ambrose, Iowa, a small town with a
population of just over 10,000.  The aliens multiply at an alarming
rate, so it isn't long before the entire town is possessed and, like a
disease, the infestation spreads rapidly.  Called in to investigate are
two members of the ultra-secret Office of Scientific Intelligence, the
father-and-son team of Sam and Andrew Nivens (played by Eric Thal and
Donald Sutherland, respectively).  Joining them is exobiologist Mary
Sefton (Julie Warner), who is "on loan" from NASA.

     What they find in Ambrose is a hoax covering up the aliens' true
plans.  The race is then on as the U.S. government seeks to find a way
to vanquish the invaders before the human race is overwhelmed.

     Director Stuart Orme's film is fast-paced, apparently more
concerned with the action elements of the story than the science
fiction ones--not that these are neglected entirely.  One of the most
fascinating portions of THE PUPPET MASTERS involves an autopsy done on
a creature.  This scene has a sense of authenticity that is often
missing from the rest of the largely comic book-style adventure.

     Attempts at detailed characterization don't work particularly
well, and there's a love story that feels as forced as it is
superfluous--although even that isn't as unnecessary as the film's
final ten minutes.  The tactic of having a "second ending" (a technique
that is used often, but rarely accomplished well) is misplaced in THE
PUPPET MASTERS, especially since it includes the movie's only incident
of obviously inferior visual effects work.

     It's refreshing to have a human hero who seems to be on top of the
situation.  As portrayed by Donald Sutherland, Andrew Nivens is a man
with a quick intelligence.  He's his adversary's match, and only once
does he get outmaneuvered or out-thought.  In case of a real alien
invasion, I'd want this guy on my team.

     THE PUPPET MASTERS is not a science fiction classic, but it is
solidly entertaining.  The movie is not so cliche-riddled that is seems
hopelessly familiar, nor is it burdened with a complex plot that
requires an unpleasant exertion of brain power to unravel.  As a
Halloween season release, this movie delivers exactly what's most
desired:  cheap thrills.

- James Berardinelli ([email-masked])