Subject: REVIEW: THE RELIC (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Tim Voon)
Date: 26 Jun 1997 15:47:35 GMT

THE RELIC
                       A film review by Tim Voon
                        Copyright 1997 Tim Voon

Cast: Penelope Ann Miller, Tom Sizemore, Linda Hunt, James Whitmore
Director: Peter Hyams  Screenplay: Amy Holden Jones and John Raffo and
Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver based on the novel by Douglas Preston and
Lincoln Child.

Lots of dead bodies, opened skulls and missing hypothalamuses (no not
hippopotamus, but hypothalamus -- the brain stem) by the end of the
movie.

Yes, my heart jumped with every sudden movement and loud noise on
screen, and I had to shield my eyes with my file-o-fax when 'The Relic'
butchered humans; but the grandmothers sitting behind me seemed to
having a grand old time, giggling at every scene. Then it dawned on me
what they were laughing about, this movie was pure, contrived stupidity.

The story is about a relic in a large, old museum and you guessed it,
'The Relic' likes killing people. Lot's of cat and mouse chases, feeding
frenzies, festering fungi, enormous dung beetles and grouchy cops with
missing dogs.

Comment: Mediocre at best.

Timothy Voon
e-mail: [email-masked]