Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: TIME BANDITS (1980)

From: [email-masked] (David Landers)
Date: 22 Apr 1997 15:21:33 GMT

TIME BANDITS
                       A film review by David Landers
                        Copyright 1997 David Landers

RATING: *** 1/2 out of **** - 8.5 out of 10.0
CAST: Craig Warnock (Kevin), David Rappaport (Randall), Kenny Baker
(Fidgit), Malcolm Dixon (Strutter), Mike Edmonds (Og), Jack Purvis
(Wally), Tiny Ross (Vermin), John Cleese (Robin Hood), Sean Connery (King
Agamemnon), Ian Holm (Napoleon), Ralph Richardson (Supreme Being), David
Warner (Evil Genius)
DIRECTOR: Terry Gilliam 
CERTIFICATION: PG (USA) for mild violence
YEAR OF PRODUCTION: 1980

TIME BANDITS, from Director Terry Gilliam, is a very different fantasy
Action/Adventure movie about a group of time-traveling dwarves, led by
Randall (David Rappaport), who have stolen a map of the Universe.  This
map contains time hole, that, if exploited, enable the men to travel back
and forth through time.  The Supreme Being of the Universe (Ralph
Richardson) is the former employer of these treasure-seeking bandits, and
he wishes desperately to regain the map..  During the travels, he appears
as a ghostly face, demanding that they return the map that they have
stolen.  But, according to Randall, they are just "borrowing" it.

Kevin, a young boy who seems quite bored with his life, is unexpectedly
brought into the schemes of the little men when they appear in his room,
which has a portal for time traveling.  He joins up with the men and
becomes part of their gang, following them on their robberies.  Their
first victim is Napoleon (Ian Holm), whom they rob during a battle that he
is commanding.  From here, the group travels to the Middle Ages, meeting
up with Robin Hood himself.  Eventually, Kevin is separated from the group
and travels to an Egyptian time where he is taken in by King Agamemnon,
played by Sean Connery.  Kevin accidentally saved the King's life, and the
King wishes to have Kevin as his son.  But the group of bandits find Kevin
and transport onto the deck of the Titanic.  Meanwhile, the Evil Genius
(David Warner) is watching the group from Fortress of Ultimate Darkness,
attempting to find a way in order to bring the men, and the map, to him.
When Randall learns of the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness, which supposedly
contains "the most fabulous object in the world", the dollar signs
seemingly appear on his eyes, as he is convinced that they must travel
there.  Once inside the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness, it is unclear as to
if any of the men will make it out alive.

TIME BANDITS is a fantastically made film that caters to the imagination
of anyone.  With a terrific soundtrack, courtesy of George Harrison, whom
also was an Executive Producer, TIME BANDITS is sure to be a very
surrealistic, time-traveling adventure with unforgettable characters that
is sure to entertain anyone.  Terry Gilliam, however, does not utilize
that greatly his trademark ability in moviemaking during this film,
although this does not affect the film that greatly.  And finally, if you
liked LABYRINTH, you'll love TIME BANDITS.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
*      David Landers - [email-masked] - http://www.gwis.com/~dml/      *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*