Subject: Retrospective: Total Recall (1990)

From: Jesse Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1997 04:43:44 GMT

Total Recall         A Film Review By Jesse A. Kaplan

Cast:  Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone, Michael
Ironside, Ronny Cox
Directed by:  Paul Verhoeven

    This simply Arnold Schwarzaegger's best movie.  Forget about T2, and
TRUE LIES.  This is the most violent, most expensible made, most
perverse Arnold movie.  We got mutant martians, Sharon Stone, and too
many questions about whats going on.
        I've always loved movies that make you think about what's going
on.  12 MONKIES, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE are some like  those.  In TOTAL
RECALL its the same.  Is the movie really happening?  Or is it simply
Arnold's recall from the movie.  I still have no idea.
        Schwarzenagger stars as Douglas Quaid, a constuction worker
living on Earth in 2084 with a beaufitul wife of eight years, Lori,
(Sharon Stone, whom we almost see topless, oh well).  He frequently has
dreams about Mars and another girl.  Thinking it will help, Quaid stops
into Rekall Inc,which can implant memories of a trip into your head.
Cheaper and Safer then vacations!!!  However after Quaid orders a trip
to Mars as a secret agent, he begins to be attacked first by co-workers,
then his wife and he realizes no one is really who they were.  He was
really a secret agent from Mars who was sent to Earth to help Mars out
because they are not getting the air they need to survive from evil
dictator Cohaggen and his sidekick, Richter (Cox and Ironside).  Soon it
becomes total war, total action, TOTAL RECALL, wow that sounded like a
promo....

****

**** = A must see film. Ex.  Starwars, Air Force One
  *** = Good show. Look for it.  Ex. Con Air, The Lost WOrld
    ** = Average movie. Kind of enjoyable. Ex.  Speed 2, The Devil's Own

      * = Poor show. Don't waste your money.  Ex. 8 Head's in a
dufflebag
      0 = Totally and painfully unbearable picture. Ex. Congo, Batman
and Robin

Copyright 1997 Jesse A. Kaplan