Subject: REVIEW: VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1995)

From: [email-masked] (berardinelli,james)
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 18:59:40 GMT

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1995)
		       A film review by James Berardinelli
			Copyright 1995 James Berardinelli
 
RATING (0 TO 10):  6.3 
 
U.S. Availability: general release 4/28/95 
Running Length: 1:37 
MPAA Classification: R (Violence, profanity) 
 
Starring: Christopher Reeve, Kirstie Alley, Linda Kozlowski, 
          Mark Hamill, Michael Pare, Lindsey Haun 
Director: John Carpenter 
Producers: Michael Preger and Sandy King 
Screenplay: David Himmelstein based on THE MIDWICH CUCKOOS by 
            John Wyndham and the 1960 screenplay by Stirling Silliphant, 
            Wolf Rilla, and George Barclay 
Cinematography: Gary B. Kibbe 
Music: John Carpenter and Dave Davies 
Released by Universal Pictures 
 
     Despite being an inferior remake, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED is the most 
frightening motion picture that John Carpenter has brought to the screen 
in at least a decade.  Following this year's disappointing IN THE MOUTH 
OF MADNESS, Carpenter has turned to a creepy 1960 English film for 
inspiration.  Adding more than a dose of modernization, a new setting 
(the British village has become an American town), and a dash of his 
trademark shock tactics, the director has turned out an enjoyable, if 
obviously-flawed, amalgamation of horror and science fiction. 
 
     VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED opens in the rural community of Midwich, 
population 2000.  After giving perfunctory introductions to the central 
characters, Carpenter starts the action in a disconcerting fashion.  
With a noise that sets theater speakers throbbing, a "whispering cloud" 
moves across the sky, knocking everyone in Midwich unconscious.  During 
this event, at least two men are killed and ten women are mysteriously 
impregnated.  Government officials, led by Dr. Susan Verner (Kirstie 
Alley) arrive just in time for the town's revival.  Lending his aid to 
Verner's people is Midwich's resident M.D., Alan Chaffee (Christopher 
Reeve), who was away when the cloud moved in.   
 
     After the pregnancies have been diagnosed, Dr. Verner makes it 
clear that the government will pay stipends to every woman who carries 
her child to term.  Following the requisite nine months, the blessed 
events occur virtually simultaneously, giving Midwich a group of tiny 
new residents.  But as the children grow, it becomes clear that there's 
something inhuman about them.  With their platinum-blond hair and blank 
expressions, not only do they look unlike the men and women raising 
them, but they lack emotion and possess the ability to read and control 
minds. 
 
     For a movie that opens with so much promise, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED 
is actually something of a disappointment.  The second half isn't as 
well-paced or intelligently scripted as what precedes it, although the 
taut climax will hold an interested viewer on seat's edge.  As the 
director has shown many times before (most notably in HALLOWEEN), he can 
take an overused scene or device and infuse it with unexpected energy.  
This skill--and little else--keeps VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED entertaining
throughout, but the movie is by no means an unqualified success.

     Society says that the young are innocent and vulnerable, and
therefore must be protected and supported.  VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED plays
on a parental nightmare:  the loss of control over an amoral--or even
evil--child.  How can any father or mother overcome the nurturing
instinct and act against an offspring, regardless of what crimes that
child has committed?  It's an unsettling consideration.  Alas,
Carpenter's exploration is somewhat perfunctory.  Ultimately, the film
is more interested in surface shocks than this sort of deeper
psychological horror, but vestiges of the theme still manage to lend a
chilling tone to what's on screen.

     The cast is interesting, if not top notch.  Christopher Reeve is
adequate in a role that doesn't require a stretch of his limited
dramatic range.  Kirstie Alley displays little presence or charisma as
the cold-hearted, secretive epidemiologist.  And, if Crocodile Dundee's
main squeeze (Kozlowski) is difficult to recognize as one of the
expectant mothers, what better camouflage could there be for Luke
Skywalker than as the local minister?

     What differentiates VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED from Carpenter's best
work is the lack of character definition.  There's no one in Midwich
worth caring about.  The high number of deaths--some of which are
unexpected--leads to a certain unpredictability, but none of the
murders has an impact beyond elevating the body count.  The result is a
movie that's as superficial as it is fun.  And, while the director
shows he's still very much on top of his craft, a tighter script, with
fewer subplots vying for screen time, might have made for a memorable
updating of the classic.  Instead, all we have is a passable remake.

- James Berardinelli ([email-masked])